Experiments of the toon kind

Started by mjb, October 10, 2016, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjb

Hello! s'been a while... so yeah was having an experiment with toons, however..did this a bit different. Three separate renders with the following HDRI's, top left for skin, top right for jacket, bottom for the bike. All materials on bike are chrome so it just reflects whatever the environment is (same goes for everything else). Ray bounces set to 1, was quite interesting to experiment and muck about with different HDRi's for different effects :)

Will Gibbons

This is really great! Love the result. So, if I understand, you used chrome on everything and used your HDRI to drive the material appearance of each of the three 'materials'? That's a unique approach. Was the Toon material used at all, or just Chrome?

Very cool and thanks for sharing your process!

NM-92

Yeah this is something i'd have never thought about. Pretty creative approach.

mjb

Thanks guys,
That's correct Will, yes..  you get full control over the shading just by rotating the environment-  try it, it works really well. :)
Oh and yes, well spotted, I did render out one image with the toon outline on the girl, didn't need it for the bike... but yep, everything has the polished steel material applied, it just basically (like you said) reflects everything in the HDRi.   ;D

mjb

Oh and the shadows were a duplicate of the model, and scaled down to completely flat on Y axis, snapped to the floor and had a flat black material applied.
Or "cheating" as it's otherwise called  ;D

HDRI's attached if anyone wants a bash.

Josh3D

Great process! Love this approach. Thanks for sharing.

mjb

Chad Holton

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I could see this process being used for t-shirts and such.

mjb

Cheers Chad,
Funny you should say that  ;D
It's ideal for screen printing as you can keep the colours down to 2 if you need to.

Will Gibbons

I wouldn't call it cheating. I think the software is just a tool and the strength of your final image is a measure of success in how well the tool was used. I really like the unconventional approach.

guest84672