Importing STEP files

Started by Phil_, October 11, 2016, 04:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_

I've recently upgraded to keyshot 6 from keyshot 4. I'm having issues importing step files, in keyshot 4 I could save a Solidworks assembly as a step file and it would import any bodies/surfaces that were in a part file. Now with keyshot 6 it will import the part as one solid body.

Does anyone have any solutions to this?

guest84672

The first question is why you are actually doing this. KeyShot can read native SW part and assembly files on both Mac and PC.

I'm not sure I understand the problem, though. Is the geometry not coming over, or is KeyShot merging it into a single material group? Do you have an example you can share?

Phil_

Quote from: thomasteger on October 11, 2016, 06:42:13 AM
The first question is why you are actually doing this. KeyShot can read native SW part and assembly files on both Mac and PC.

I'm not sure I understand the problem, though. Is the geometry not coming over, or is KeyShot merging it into a single material group? Do you have an example you can share?

Just the process we use here in work, our assemblies get quite messy and large especially for the concept stage of a project.

I'm exporting a STEP of a SW assembly, the assembly includes a few standard components and a SW part (the concept) that is split into bodies/surfaces. If I save as a step ap214 it will separate the bodies by colors applied in SW but this is a big pain to have to do in SW. In KS4 I could simply import the STEP and it would keep all the bodies separate in KS the same as it would in SW but without the need to apply colours to every body in SW.

Chad Holton

Thanks for the information, Phil. I will test it out and report a bug if I can reproduce. You may need to import the native format, use SW plugin or a different export option in the meantime.  I do recommend the plugin as you have live linking ability: https://www.keyshot.com/downloads/plugins/

Chad

Chad Holton

Hi Phil,

I'm having trouble reproducing this one. What STEP protocol are you wanting to use? I'm using Creo and have these options:

AP203_is
AP203_is_ext
ap214_is
ap242_e1

Best regards,
Chad