Importing two models into one scene?

Started by ac77777, October 16, 2016, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ac77777

Hi everyone!  I'm hoping someone can help me.  I'm not a professional designer, I've had a product designed by someone and I've been making renders and animations myself using Keyshot 6 which is working out fine with my model which is a .stp file

I'm now trying to add another model which I've downloaded for free from a website (a .DWG file) into my scene as I would like to render my product beside a complimentary product (the one that I have downloaded).  Every time I try this, my Keyshot freezes or it just doesn't display the two models, even though it shows that they are both in the scene.

Could it be that the models are completely different scales/sizes?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm running Keyshot on an i7 quad core processor with 16gb RAM

Thanks,
Andrew

Robb63

Hi Andrew,
Most of the DWG formatted files I've seen are only 2D line drawings. Maybe that's the issue?
See if you can get the model in OBJ, DXF, STEP, IGES and try that.

LayC42

Once you imported an object in a new scene, you can apply the materials and so on ... and save this bip file. And then import the next dwg in a new scene ... apply the materials ... and save this bip file.
Now you can create a new scene and import the different bip files into this scene, work on lighting, ... and let the renders run.

hope that helps

ac77777

Quote from: Robb63 on October 16, 2016, 09:19:12 AM
Hi Andrew,
Most of the DWG formatted files I've seen are only 2D line drawings. Maybe that's the issue?
See if you can get the model in OBJ, DXF, STEP, IGES and try that.

Hi Robb63, thanks for the quick reply.  It's definitely a 3d file as I'm able to import into a new scene by itself.   I will try doing the same thing with another file type though and see if it helps.

ac77777

Quote from: LayC42 on October 16, 2016, 10:39:15 AM
Once you imported an object in a new scene, you can apply the materials and so on ... and save this bip file. And then import the next dwg in a new scene ... apply the materials ... and save this bip file.
Now you can create a new scene and import the different bip files into this scene, work on lighting, ... and let the renders run.

hope that helps

Thanks LayC42, i will try this tomorrow and let you know if it works!  Many thanks!

jhiker

First off, In the scene tree check each of the models in turn and see whether the 'scale' and position' match. You might have to adjust the scale of the second import. If you hide (uncheck) the original model and highlight the second import in the scene tree can you see the orange outline? Might have to zoom to see it?

ac77777

Quote from: jhiker on October 17, 2016, 03:45:33 AM
First off, In the scene tree check each of the models in turn and see whether the 'scale' and position' match. You might have to adjust the scale of the second import. If you hide (uncheck) the original model and highlight the second import in the scene tree can you see the orange outline? Might have to zoom to see it?

Hi Jhiker,

Thanks for the reply.  This seems to be my problem as when I import the second model, it seems to be about 100 times bigger than the first model.  In the scene tree I've made sure the 'distance' and 'inclination' are the exact same for each model under 'Camera' and then 'position and orientation'.  Is that what you mean by 'scale' and 'position'?  I tired it but I got the same results.  It's so frustrating!

Thanks,
Andrew

jhiker

Not exactly. It's not under the 'camera' tab, it's under the 'scene' tab - like this....

guest84672

ac77777

Quote from: jhiker on October 25, 2016, 01:06:25 AM
Not exactly. It's not under the 'camera' tab, it's under the 'scene' tab - like this....

Got it!  So my second model was coming in with a scale of 1000, that was the problem, thanks for the help!

ac77777

Quote from: thomasteger on October 25, 2016, 10:25:54 AM
@ac77777: Are you using KeyShot 6?

Yes, using Keyshot 6.  The problem is solved now, it was to do with the scale of the second import.