materials in both?

Started by andy.engelkemier, October 07, 2016, 08:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Is there any way to set up materials in Max so that most of the settings come through?
I just started messing with it, and it looks like all of the materials come over as standard plastic (non-transparent) and the only thing that gets adjusted is the diffuse color.
Is that true?

Is there a type of material in Max that will come over with all converted values, so that my previews in the max viewport look decent, then when I head over to keyshot, nearly all of the settings I would need are already set up?

I know adding things more than just bitmap textures gets complex quickly. But I was hoping to be able to adjust some basic things like transparency, diffuse, roughness, IOR, disable IOR, etc. Basically all of the settings of a generic material.

guest84672

andy.engelkemier

Oh no! Well, there goes that idea.
I was hoping to merge my animation world with my still rendering world. I'll talk with my other animator, but I'm pretty sure that'll be a dealbreaker for animations. I also didn't realize, until today, that animation that bend require one keyshot file per frame. I'm not sure I have the hard drive space for that.  :-\

Are you guys planning on making a fully integrated render engine in any of the 3D apps? What I mean by that, is you apply actual keyshot materials inside the app, make all of your render adjustments there, etc. You wouldn't need to open up keyshot standalone at all, when working in that application.
If so, I'd like to know which you choose first. That may influence any decisions to switch applications, which we are currently looking at.

guest84672

The 3DS Max plugin allows you to output deformable animations on a frame by frame basis, and then render them inside KeyShot with the script that is provided.

What could work here as far as materials go are material templates. If you have a set of standard materials inside Max, you could then map them to corresponding materials inside KeyShot.

While you should never say never, I highly doubt that we are going to implement KeyShot into a 3D application.