Export with separate bodies

Started by simdabb, October 21, 2016, 04:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simdabb

Hey guys,

I have a serious issue, I can't manage to export my keyshot model with separate bodies.

The objective is to get a .stl or .obj with a body for each part but I really don't see how to do it (I guess it is easy), if anyone of you knows how to do it, it would be awesome.

Thank you !

Simon

TpwUK

Quote from: simdabb on October 21, 2016, 04:33:04 AM
Hey guys,

I have a serious issue, I can't manage to export my keyshot model with separate bodies.

The objective is to get a .stl or .obj with a body for each part but I really don't see how to do it (I guess it is easy), if anyone of you knows how to do it, it would be awesome.

Thank you !

Simon

AFAIK the only way is to hide all the other parts and export them all one at a time. There is a utility on the web somewhere that will merge the resulting OBJ files back into one file.

Martin

simdabb

Thanks, so you mean that it is not possible to get one single file which contains an assembly of bodies?

TpwUK

Quote from: simdabb on October 21, 2016, 07:04:35 AM
Thanks, so you mean that it is not possible to get one single file which contains an assembly of bodies?
Not tried it for a while, but it used to export the scenes geometry as OBJ but when opened in another app, it was all one big solid with no layers, materials or individual parts other than parts that are separate from the main mass. So if you selected a part in your modelling app, it selected everything. Now I did do it on the cheap using Cheetah3D so you may get more mileage with say something like Maya which can separate the individual parts again as long as they have been defined as such in the exported OBJ which I have never checked since :/

Martin

DMerz III

Hey guys,

Martin, might you be speaking of the MergeOBJ utility that I've seen on MoI3d.com

Scroll to the bottom of the page, there's a download link.
http://moi3d.com/resources

I have personally never used it, but if you read the description, it might be what you're looking for. Do not know if you need to use MOI3d to use the utility. Either way, Moi is awesome.

TpwUK

Quote from: dmerziii on October 21, 2016, 09:40:28 AM
Hey guys,

Martin, might you be speaking of the MergeOBJ utility that I've seen on MoI3d.com

Scroll to the bottom of the page, there's a download link.
http://moi3d.com/resources

I have personally never used it, but if you read the description, it might be what you're looking for. Do not know if you need to use MOI3d to use the utility. Either way, Moi is awesome.
That would make sense that it's linked from Moi3D - I knew I had seen it somewhere. Used it in the past to unite OBJ's after exporting from Moi...

Martin

simdabb

Hum thanks, but looks like this utily is merging into one single body.. I'm looking for the opposite.. I want to be able to hide bodies in my obj file.

guest84672

An STL file doesn't have any structure to it, so there won't be any groups.

As far as the OBJ file goes, it will have to be exported by "material" or by "object" in order to be able to have separate parts inside KeyShot.

DMerz III

Sorry Simdabb, was hoping that could help.

So reading your original question, it sounds like you're trying to export FROM keyshot. I personally haven't had much success exporting geometry FROM Keyshot (though, I've only tried a couple of times, failed miserably, and found another route to get where I was going).

Just wondering, what is wrong with the geometry which you had IMPORTED into Keyshot to begin with, couldn't you use that file to go where you need to go? Just curious (and trying to help problem solve).

guest84672

True - thanks for clarifying dmerzii.

simdabb

Hey,

That's it.

I want to export my model FROM Keyshot. For this project I had no choice and I had to assemble the model (a motorcycle) directly on Keyshot (yeah that sounds stupid). Quite long to explain, but that's the situation..

So now I am trying to export this "assembly" into a file with multiple bodies. If you have any ideas..

Thanks guys.