Network rendering on 80+ cores.

Started by Nils Piirma, November 07, 2016, 01:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nils Piirma

So, i'll share my personal experiences with the network rendering solution here, what hadrware was used, what were the settings and so on.

I bought with my company the license for 96 cores. currently in use are 80 cores / incl threads:
Intel xeon e5 2620v2's x4
intel xeon e5 2660 v2 x2

A client of mine uses my hardware to do product renderings of various iphone and mcabook cases.
He used 2 intel xeon E5 2670v1's to get his benchmark score, and with my render farm we saw an increase of rendering performance of 6x.
That means that his renders that took 6 hours or more to complete took my renderfarm 1 hour.
He was rendering in 5k.

When rendering with huge textures, the system took sometimes longer to render, becaus eof DPI settings.

The purpose of this post is to showcase what performance benefit you can get even when using pretty old hardware and spending around 5K USD on just hardware.

If you can / or have the knowhow on how to build a computer, you can easily get this setup done with used parts from ebay.

My suggestion is to go with Intel xeon e5 2670v1's and a couple of lga 2011-1 motherboards, each system can cost up to 1k and all you need to install is windows, and vcredist x86 / 64 for the system to recognize the slave / master / que program.

DMerz III

Whew, thanks for the insights!
Makes me want to build a farm for myself at home.

Nils Piirma

Hey, yeah sure running it at home can be a solution, but you're gonna have to calculate in the cost of electricity.
Also, it's better if you rent this kind of a solution on a monthly fee. My renderfarm fee for using 80 cores at the moment runs for about 200€, that includes your own personal user and the availibility to render anytime you want, just send it to the que and you're off to the races.

Quote from: dmerziii on November 08, 2016, 08:41:46 AM
Whew, thanks for the insights!
Makes me want to build a farm for myself at home.

DMerz III