TpwUK Gemmology material Studies (Project Agate - Agate Slice)

Started by TpwUK, November 21, 2016, 08:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

Project Agate - Sequential render study from rough to tumbled, to cut and polished and finally a sliced and polished to finish with.

Modelled with Blender 2.78a
Materials created with KS MatGraph and one 3rd party texture from an unknown person so can't give credit
1 Hour render time
Camera set as Nikon 110mm/f5.6

bdesign

Super cool, Martin. Look forward to seeing the progressive steps!

Cheers,
Eric

Chad Holton

Looking good, Martin. I'm always on the lookout for unique stones. Keep 'em coming!

NM-92

Nice scene ! I really like the colours in the image.

TpwUK

Quote from: bdesign on January 15, 2017, 11:22:46 PM
Super cool, Martin. Look forward to seeing the progressive steps!

Cheers,
Eric
Thanks Eric - Tumbled agate won't take too long in coming (famous last words)
Quote from: Chad Holton on January 16, 2017, 06:03:32 AM
Looking good, Martin. I'm always on the lookout for unique stones. Keep 'em coming!
Will add it to the Cloud Library if you want to play with it Chad :)
Quote from: NM-92 on January 16, 2017, 06:47:28 AM
Nice scene ! I really like the colours in the image.
Thanks Nico - They did take a bit of time to get them looking about right

Martin

Magnus Skogsfjord

Sweet additions, Martin. I gotta say I really like that Acanthite and Calcite stone. Looks superb!

TpwUK

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on January 16, 2017, 01:23:11 PM
Sweet additions, Martin. I gotta say I really like that Acanthite and Calcite stone. Looks superb!
Thanks for the kind words Magnus, always good to hear from you.

Martin

TpwUK

Same settings as before other than a change in the materials and render-time which had to be extended to two hours. All materials this time were constructed using KeyShot Procedurals

Martin

Josh3D

Interesting study Martin! I was thinking the last one looked like a piece of candy  :o

TpwUK

Quote from: Josh Mings on January 17, 2017, 07:36:04 AM
Interesting study Martin! I was thinking the last one looked like a piece of candy  :o
Tumbled and talc polished agates can look like candies - Just don't try crunching into one :)

Martin

Hossein Alfideh

Will Gibbons

Kind of reminds me of some dragon egg or something...

TpwUK

Low grade pressure fractured Agate with Quartz inclusions cut and polished. I should have spent more time with the modelling to create a better geode as the outer crust should intrude into the interior and wouldn't have a clean edge as depicted here.

Thanks go to Eric for his crackled textures that I am sure are going to come in very handy soon.

Martin

bdesign

This looks awesome, Martin! Beautiful texturing and detail. Well done! Thanks for the mention :)

Cheers,
Eric

TpwUK

Quote from: bdesign on January 21, 2017, 12:44:18 PM
This looks awesome, Martin! Beautiful texturing and detail. Well done! Thanks for the mention :)

Cheers,
Eric
Thanks for the comment and you're welcome :)

Martin