TpwUK Gemmology material Studies (Project Agate - Agate Slice)

Started by TpwUK, November 21, 2016, 08:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

Those little reflective pieces on the inner surface look gorgeous.

TpwUK

Sadly my modelling skills let down the final result of this render, but at least the concept works.

Modelling: Blender 2.78a
Rendering: KeyShot 6.3.19
Render Specs: 454,658 triangles rendered to 128 samples on 32 cores = 6hr render time

Raw image from KeyShot with no post editing.

Martin

TpwUK

Final image after retouching with Pixelmator ...

NM-92

TpwUK

Will Gibbons

Wow! I really, really like how this turned out. I don't think your modeling skills took anything away from it. Definitely, both the inner and outer surfaces look great. I know you said you're done with this one, but I'd be curious to see how this looks sitting up on end with a point light behind it... see if it glows since it is translucent.

Very nice.

TpwUK

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 30, 2017, 09:59:38 AM
Wow! I really, really like how this turned out. I don't think your modeling skills took anything away from it. Definitely, both the inner and outer surfaces look great. I know you said you're done with this one, but I'd be curious to see how this looks sitting up on end with a point light behind it... see if it glows since it is translucent.

Very nice.

Thanks for the kind words Will - Going to leave this one cooking for a few hours. I am doing the render like a partial eclipse so you can see the back light peeking over the top of the slice. I will post it either in the morning or after it's done doing 128 samples if I am still awake then :)

Martin

TpwUK

Raw KeyShot image to test translucency for Will - 128 samples rendered in 5hrs 26mins

Martin

Will Gibbons

Nice! What really works here, is the 'whiter' areas let more light through (as they would( and it shows off some depth. The veins between the cells too seem to pop out. Thanks for doing this and posting it!

TpwUK

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 31, 2017, 07:49:57 AM
Nice! What really works here, is the 'whiter' areas let more light through (as they would( and it shows off some depth. The veins between the cells too seem to pop out. Thanks for doing this and posting it!
You're Welcome Will, it turned out quiet well :)

Martin

bdesign

I love the slice,Martin. Very well done! Also my favorite :)

Cheers,
Eric