help for creating a felt texture

Started by MK-ID, November 28, 2016, 12:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK-ID

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some suggestions to create a felt texture for furniture visualisations.
Looking forward to your replies.
Thank you in advance!

greetings, Markus

richardfunnell

Hi Markus,

You'll need nicely detailed models and some great textures to replicate this kind of material.
I would suggest taking a look at the Poliigon website for fabric textures, they have some great ones that might do the trick. Check out the Fabric Wool or Fabric Cashmere, they look pretty close to your intended result.

Link: https://www.poliigon.com/search/recent/narrow/list/fabric

Josh Richman

Ping me if you get a great material going!! Would love to see the result.

nicordf

I know this topic is a bit old, but ping me as well! I would love to have a look at it

Robb63

Just thought I would post this. I used these for some cut and sew renders last year.
This was prior to the Material Graph so I would imagine these could be made much better now. As long as you aren't doing closeups these work well though.
Hopefully these work for you, if not they might be a good starting point.

Namssorg

Nice work Robb63!  I was going to post my material, but Robb63's looks like a (much improved) version of the felt car trunk interior material I uploaded to Keyshot Cloud a few years ago.  Just curious, did you use that as a starting point?  Yours looks better :)

Robb63

Hi Namssorg,
It was almost two years ago that I created the felt, so I'm not sure if I did or not. It's very possible as I'm sure i would have searched the KS Cloud before trying my own. So If I started with yours, thanks!  :)

I was fortunate, in that the vendor making the felt bags for us sent me a huge piece of the actual material for a sample, so I was able to get a really good photograph and make a high res seamless tile out of it. That was more than half the battle!

Rubio

Hi  richardfunnell,
I just survey the Poliigon website, and I want to know the material how to use in the keyshot?
Because it is picture not Keyshot file.

Thank you!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Rubio on April 21, 2017, 12:27:06 AM
Hi  richardfunnell,
I just survey the Poliigon website, and I want to know the material how to use in the keyshot?
Because it is picture not Keyshot file.

Thank you!

You can only create KeyShot materials in KeyShot. Textures are one of the ingredients of a material. Poliigon sells high-quality textures that you can create KeyShot materials with.

This webinar will probably be helpful for you to understand this process a bit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6liInjrE48