Reference previous keyshot file

Started by andy.engelkemier, November 29, 2016, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

We have quite a few models we re-use. They are typically rhino files. The biggest downside to rhino files typically is there is no part number. So you can't edit, and update a part. You can rotate, scale, etc, but as soon as you edit a face, it's a new object.

All of the models are usually created symmetrically, on top of the origin (if I have anything to do with it) with the entire model positive of the ground plane. Well, that doesn't do you much good.

What I'd like to do is create a keyshot file for each of those files with materials that look good so that part is ready to go. And Here's where you ask, "why wouldn't you just import the keyshot file?"
That's a good question. Many times we actually design something in relation to the object, so it has to be moved. Say someone is laying on a bed, which is plugged into the wall, and the design project is something mounted to their wrist. I'd have the wall with plug as one file, then the bed, then the person (that one probably can't be referenced though), and finally the actual design. Those files are already imported into Rhino because we had to position everything in one scene in order to know where to put the actual design. So having to reposition them in Keyshot wouldn't be very efficient, especially if individual parts are rotated and moved. Having to try and do that in keyshot is incredibly inefficient.

But there is already a keyshot file, with the same objects which Should be listed as the same parts. It would be really cool to import my newest design file, then choose the keyshot files to reference. It would apply materials to any matching objects. I would just repeat that for each part, then only need to apply materials to my new design. I can keep reusing those files, and only have to reference the materials, because I have already positioned the parts in my design software.

It's pretty similar to updating a file, so I figured it could be done without it being an impossible project. But I know, you never know what hurdles there might be.