Samsung USB Flashdrive

Started by guido732, January 23, 2017, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guido732

Hey, so I've been playing around with some overlays. Any critiques and comments to improve this?

I'm not confident at all with the background/floor, but just a colour seemed too perfect with all the smudges and dust. Maybe worn out wood?

guido732

Update with modified floor + lighting
Raw renders, no post

Will Gibbons

I like the ground plane/surface it's sitting on. Only thing is that the lighting on the thumb drive could be improved as the sides of the drive seem to be about the same color/value as the ground plane and it doesn't stand out much against the surface. Maybe dial the fingerprints back just a tad? Scale of dust and everything's looking good though.

guido732

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 24, 2017, 07:20:20 AM
I like the ground plane/surface it's sitting on. Only thing is that the lighting on the thumb drive could be improved as the sides of the drive seem to be about the same color/value as the ground plane and it doesn't stand out much against the surface. Maybe dial the fingerprints back just a tad? Scale of dust and everything's looking good though.

Thanks for the input Dave! I guess you're talking about the first batch of renders. You're totally right about the lack of contrast on that surface though, lighting needed to be adjusted which I redid along with the floor surface.

I just did a little post on one of the renders to enhance detail, contrast, little grain, vignette and couple lighting retouches to show more of the "grunge" overall

TpwUK

It's a good study for materials, I preferred the first posts as they show the USB stick as the star of the show. Try experimenting more with focal length and Depth of Field to set the focus on the USB, I would go something like 110 on the focal length and set f-stop to something like 56

Martin

guido732

Quote from: TpwUK on January 24, 2017, 08:31:02 AM
It's a good study for materials, I preferred the first posts as they show the USB stick as the star of the show. Try experimenting more with focal length and Depth of Field to set the focus on the USB, I would go something like 110 on the focal length and set f-stop to something like 56

Martin
Thanks Martin, I actually used some (little) DoF, focal lenght didn't play as much, I wanted a natural look so kept the 35mm lens, maybe it should be a little more intense so it shows better. Will try the settings you suggested, thanks!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: guido732 on January 24, 2017, 07:44:18 AM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 24, 2017, 07:20:20 AM

Thanks for the input Dave! I guess you're talking about the first batch of renders. You're totally right about the lack of contrast on that surface though, lighting needed to be adjusted which I redid along with the floor surface.

I just did a little post on one of the renders to enhance detail, contrast, little grain, vignette and couple lighting retouches to show more of the "grunge" overall

Not sure who Dave is... buuuut yes, I was referring to the top batch. I'm with Martin. Sometimes backing off on the effects to achieve a more natural effect will strengthen the rendering. For example, I'd make the drive take up more of the frame, switch to a longer lens (quite a bit more than 35mm), you could boost the DoF, but that's a matter of preference. Vignette if you want can be added in KeyShot in the Image tab (no need to ad in post) and I think the leather-looking surface from the earlier batch was stronger and more believable. That's my two cents.

Most importantly, have fun and keep trying new approaches!

imikej

Seems to me the drive would pop a bit more if it were on a traditional, light-colored work surface.  Something Ikea-ish.  Just a thought.  Nice attention to detail for sure!

guido732

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 24, 2017, 12:57:04 PMNot sure who Dave is... buuuut yes, I was referring to the top batch. I'm with Martin. Sometimes backing off on the effects to achieve a more natural effect will strengthen the rendering. For example, I'd make the drive take up more of the frame, switch to a longer lens (quite a bit more than 35mm), you could boost the DoF, but that's a matter of preference. Vignette if you want can be added in KeyShot in the Image tab (no need to ad in post) and I think the leather-looking surface from the earlier batch was stronger and more believable. That's my two cents.

Most importantly, have fun and keep trying new approaches!
oh my god  :o :o sorry about that, must have been reading something with a dave involved, my bad  ::)

back to the topic, thanks, I'll keep trying stuff for this one but I don't wanna overdo it either, maybe I'll try with another product and see how those tips apply to single-objects renders.

I'm not really sure a thumbdrive is the best option for a worn material style but it was what I had close by to test.

Also, I did use the vignette but higher levels looked strange, I ended up increasing it in photoshop with the raw camera plugn as I was adjusting other stuff.

Quote from: imikej on January 24, 2017, 03:00:31 PM
Seems to me the drive would pop a bit more if it were on a traditional, light-colored work surface.  Something Ikea-ish.  Just a thought.  Nice attention to detail for sure!
I'm not familiar with Ikea (we don't have those in my country) but thanks for the idea, I'll do some research and see what can be found. Maybe a light color flat surface with details (minor scratches and smudges) but very subtle so focus remains on the drive.

Thanks!

Will Gibbons

oh my god  :o :o sorry about that, must have been reading something with a dave involved, my bad  ::)
Thanks!
[/quote]

Don't sweat it!