Overlap Materials

Started by amrit02, January 03, 2017, 01:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amrit02

Hi guys,

Need some help here. I have a single object in Keyshot where i want to apply a mesh lace on the bottom, and a transparent embroidery (diffuse map) on the top. The issue is when i render , the diffuse map is ALWAYS below the mesh, It should be above.

This is how my material graph looks like .
Any ideas how i can solve it ?

Thanks

INNEO_MWo

I'm not really sure, that I understood your problem correctly. You've defined a plastic material with a mesh in color and another channel. And you want the inside of this single body showing some kind of mesh and on the outside a color texture with a separate material?!

I think you want this?

Every detail can be analyzed in the attached file.

hope that helps

amrit02

Hi Mwo,

Thanks for the reply.
Well , actually close, but not quite right

I want the upper body of this object to show my transparent embroidery texture ,
and below it to show the mesh.

So practically making this fabric :

In my sample, it has 2 problems:
1. The embroidery is showing below the mesh, it should be the other way around.
2. The embroidery is not "masking" the mesh , causing an overlap where the mesh portion exceeds the portion of the embroidery . See attachment (its from another software but its the same concept).

Finema

Hi
Have you try with two part ? in my example i use 2 plans
one for the pattern and one for the fabric
see the screenshots

amrit02

Hi Finema,

By 2 plans you mean 2 separate materials right ?

I tried that , however the issue of overlapping mesh and embroidery wont be solved right?

Finema

sorry
i haven't understand your problem ???

amrit02

This is my problem  . I want to acheive this fabric :

MY workflow is :

1. Take an image of my lace using a camera .
2. Since the lace is transparent , i use a green screen
3.  I take out the transparency in photoshop.

This is where i am stuck, at a lens of 50mm too , i cannot capture the detail of the mesh at a high quality enough to render it in 3D.
So i have to take the mesh out , and apply a mesh vector.

This is where the problem arise.

4. My mesh is one image, my embroidery texture (after photoshop so its the embroidery only) is another image. I need to combine and recreate the lace. 

amrit02

Any response ?

Perhaps i could use the clipping mask, but i couldn't find any tutorials that could help

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: amrit02 on January 03, 2017, 01:36:43 AM
Need some help here. I have a single object in Keyshot where i want to apply a mesh lace on the bottom, and a transparent embroidery (diffuse map) on the top. The issue is when i render , the diffuse map is ALWAYS below the mesh, It should be above.
Hi Amrit02. Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I think what you are asking is to invert the layer order of your two materials?
If so, have you tried to create the mesh material as the base material and then add the diffuse map on the top?

(5 minutes later)
Okay I just tried that, and see that the opacity map for the mesh also affects the embroidery.
To avoid this, a solution is to apply both materials as labels to an invisible emissive material.
Something like this:
https://we.tl/cMj03EukyB

Does it solve your problem?
Best,

amrit02

Hi Esben,

Does it solve my problem - > Yes and No.
I had to remove the opacity map from one of the "Advanced" materials because it was covering my embroidery.
It looks like this now.

But still doesn't solve the overlap materials . The mesh still exceeds the embroidery. Like the actual fabric, the mesh should only surround (mask) the embroidery, not go over it.

amrit02

Any replies?

To make it simple, I actually need to use the embroidery as a clipping mask for my the object , so it looks like the actual fabric.

I found this --> http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/24169/using-an-object-as-a-clipping-mask-for-another-object 

But it is using a different rendering software - Blender. How do i replicate this in Keyshot?