Graphite - Braided/Molded

Started by Hawks89, December 05, 2016, 06:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks89

New to Keyshot. Currently just got Keyshot 6. Has anyone seen renderings or material or have suggestions to get a look like these pictures attached. I work in the Valve industry and we use a lot of  braided graphite and molded graphite like pictured below and I just can't seem to get anything close

NM-92

Hey Hawks515, welcome ! I tried to recreate that graphite seal ring. I think the easiest way to achieve this is to split the surfaces of the model and texture each one as you need. I'm attaching an image and a .ksp for you to inspect and see if this is what you need. I'm sure someone will come up with an easier or better solution though, but here it goes !

Hawks89

thanks NM-92, looks great! do you have any suggestions for the braided graphite?

NM-92

What modeling software do you use ? For best results on braided graphite i think that UV mapping is required. Let me give it a try to see if i can get anywhere close to that reference you uploaded.

Hawks89

I have CREO Elements Direct. Even if I can get the OD to look similar to the picture I would be fine with, because they will be stacked together with the other graphite on top and bottom in most renders that I'll do. (2nd Picture with the braided on the bottom)

NM-92

That's great ! So you only need to worry about the exterior face and any texture seams that appear should be hidden by the other geometry. Add some crackled texture for the bump channel and another one for roughness on a metal material and you should cover what you need.