"Position" command for Anisotropic material disappears

Started by Mtucker, December 14, 2016, 11:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtucker

I render parts frequently with machined "spin lines" on them. (Like the image below.)

The anisotropic material is perfect for this. I set the Mode to Radial, position the pattern at the middle of the circular part, and the spin lines look great. However, I have been having a problem where the "Position" command disappears from the options panel, making it impossible to position the center of the spin lines. 

The attached image called "Anisotropic1" shows my control panel when this issue is happening. The material type is set to anisotropic, and the mode is set to radial, but there is no "Position" button. At other times, the button is visible but greyed out.

I haven't found any set of steps that causes this to happen. Sometimes it happens the first time I apply the anisotropic material, and at other times I will be able to position the pattern once, but then if I try to edit the material and reposition the pattern, the "Position" box is gone.   This issue doesn't seem dependent on geometry. The problem happens to me even if I start with nothing in the scene, and go to add geometry > cylinder. I was able to position the spin lines once, but after that the position box was gone.  Sometimes if I switch the mode from radial to linear and then back to linear, the position and reset options reappear, but they are greyed out.

The attached image called "Anisotropic Correct" shows what the menu bar should look like and the viewport shows the effect I'm looking for.

I appreciate the help anyone can provide!

Mtucker

Somehow the "Anisotropic Correct" image didn't attach. Here it is, attached.

guest84672

Move the camera back. Do you have multiple objects with this same material in the scene?