Little Planets (Stereographic projection) created from KeyShot rendered scenes

Started by Despot, December 23, 2016, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Been thinking about doing these in KeyShot for a while now. But the problem was getting KS to spit out an equirectangular image (spherical panorama) correctly. I know you can render a panorama in KS, but it's just cylindrical, so there is no Zenith or Nadir (up/down) information.

Here's some info on 'Little Planets'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection

I then remembered about cube mapping. Using this method you can render a 'front', 'back', 'left', 'right', 'up' and 'down' face and then use panorama software to convert these cube faces into a spherical panorama. This is the method I used in Cinema 4D :

1. Make sure your document is square (1:1 aspect ratio)

2. Create a new camera and change the Field of View (FOV) to 90 degrees

3. Move the camera to the centre of your scene, this will give you a more balanced 'Little Planet' later on. This isn't majorly important though. Elevation is not so important either.

4. Use the following x/y/z camera rotation co-ordinates to create the 6 camera views.

Front - 0,0,0
    Back - 180,0,0
    Left - 90,0,0
    Right - 270,0,0
    Up - 0,90,0
    Down - 0,-90,0

You can either create 6 separate cameras or keyframe the co-ordinate changes - whatever suits. I chose to create 6 different cameras

5. Open the Cinema 4D file directlyin KeyShot, light and texture as required and render each camera view.

I then used a program called Pano2VR to import the cube faces and create an equirectangular image. I've included images of the separate cube faces from KeyShot and the resultant Spherical Panorama.

From there I added a Stereographic projection (Little Planet) transformation to get the 2 images you see at the beginning of this thread.

Sorry, I'm shit at explaining stuff, so if this seems muddy as hell, I'll try and explain it better or I'm sure somebody else will (Eric ;) )

Esben Oxholm

Nice one!
I've done my fair share of little planets with regular photography, but never considered doing it in KeyShot.
Great execution. Model and texturing looks awesome.

Best,

LayC42

I like these little planets. And they can be created with a 360^ cylindrical pano in Photoshop. Just use the polarize filter.
(I'm writing this on a mobile phone with no access to KeyShot or Photoshop. So I can't show an example. But you can search the web for this technique)
I just give pano2VR a trial.

Good job, well done!
Thx for sharing

Eron

some background info on cube mapping:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_mapping

+ my very best wishes for the New Year 2017
regards
Eron

Despot

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 23, 2016, 11:56:11 PM
Nice one!
I've done my fair share of little planets with regular photography, but never considered doing it in KeyShot.

Best,

Cheers Esben, thanks for the comment, I've also done my fair share of photographic little planets but never CGI based ones until now :)

Quote from: LayC42 on December 24, 2016, 02:45:08 AM
I like these little planets. And they can be created with a 360^ cylindrical pano in Photoshop. Just use the polarize filter.
(I'm writing this on a mobile phone with no access to KeyShot or Photoshop. So I can't show an example. But you can search the web for this technique)

Good job, well done!
Thx for sharing

Thanks, although I don't like using the polarize filter in PS, it's the 'rookie' way to create 'little planets', you have zero control over the outcome visually. I prefer to use either Pano2VR or Flaming Pear Flexify (I have both) you can then change Latitude, Longitude, FOV, Spin and Pan

Will Gibbons

I saw these this weekend on Artstation. Very cool! I especially like the colors on the one with the sunset. That's a killer model and textures.

Despot

Here are some extra images of the first scene using a normal camera rather than a cube map setup.

Apparently there was a bit of confusion as to whether these were actual KeyShot scenes or photographs that were used to create the little planets...

LayC42

Quote from: Despot on December 27, 2016, 06:00:08 AM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 23, 2016, 11:56:11 PM
Nice one!

Best,

Cheers Esben, thanks for the comment, I've also done my fair share of photographic little planets but never CGI based ones until now :)

Quote from: LayC42 on December 24, 2016, 02:45:08 AM

Good job, well done!
Thx for sharing

Thanks, although I don't like using the polarize filter in PS, it's the 'rookie' way to create 'little planets', you have zero control over the outcome visually. I prefer to use either Pano2VR or Flaming Pear Flexify (I have both) you can then change Latitude, Longitude, FOV, Spin and Pan

I'll have to give this a try. Never created little planets in a professional way.
Thx for the tips.

Will Gibbons

Hossein Alfideh

humm ... This is totally new to me, loved the thread Jonh!
those clay shots are fantastic as well,thanks for sharing.
cheers!  :)