Add decal to the middle of a clear block

Started by willd, November 29, 2016, 01:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willd

I'm trying to create a clear acrylic block with a printed card embedded.

How do I add the decal set back into the block rather than on one of the outer faces? I've attached images of the kind of tombstone I'm trying to create.

I'm using Fusion 360 and Keyshot 6, any help is much appreciated.

richardfunnell

Create a separate piece of geometry (model the printed card) and move it inside of the clear piece of geometry.
The acrylic block simply needs to be a clear material with no label, and the printed card can be a diffuse material with your graphic used as a color texture.

willd

Thanks for your help.

Secondary question: How would you add a transparent decal floating in the middle of the block?

richardfunnell

Same thing, model a piece of geometry (probably a single surface) and move it inside the block.
Assign a clear material to it, then add your graphic as a label on that surface.

richardfunnell

On second thought (and actually mocking it up), this is slightly more complex than I explained above. I've attached a KSP and image of the final result.

I modeled 2 quick blocks, then added a part with a slight thickness for the card inside one block, and a surface to the second block.

For the acrylic, I used the Dielectric material with a Refraction Index of 1.495, set to pure white. This will give you the nice clarity and correct refraction for that part.

For the card, I set the material to Diffuse, then added the graphic (PNG) as a label. I used the DPI function to make sure it was the correct size, and changed the label material to diffuse as well. Another important step was setting the label Depth to 0.2mm, which is less than the thickness of the card (.5mm) so it doesn't bleed through onto the back. If you want the graphic to pop more, use plastic or paint.
I noticed in your image that the back has a label, so I used the same method above to add a label on the back of the card.

For the transparent decal, I modified the label so it was semi-transparent in Photoshop, then saved it as a PNG. I set the transparent decal to a basic plastic, then used the semi-transparent label as both the color texture and opacity texture (set to alpha) to give the impression of the free floating graphic in the model. Anything that is semi transparent in the original PNG will make the material semi transparent, in this case it was the grey backing on the logo.

For lighting, I saved a preset that has higher ray bounces, shadow quality, and global + ground illumination. This should give you great results for clear products.

I hope this isn't overly complex, but I quickly realized that the basic explanation wouldn't achieve the right results. Let me know how it works for you!

willd

Thank you so much for that, that's super helpful - exactly what I needed! Works a dream.

Just a quick question about the transparent decal, how would you make the back of the actual graphic (key shot logo) white or solid? I've attached two photos to show what I mean.

richardfunnell

It depends on how complex you want to get, but you essentially have to create a separate label (all white) for the back first. Then layer the "front" label on top of your first one. You then disable "Two Sided" so that the front label isn't visible from behind. Of course, since you want some transparency you'll have to play with the transparency for the images.

Quick KSP & screenshot attached.

LayC42

Hello Willd and hello Richard.

Probably it would be easier to use an emissive material with the label on it.
If you're a German user send me a PN and we'll find the right solution for this.
@Richard
I like your example. I'll take a look to your package file.

cheers, Marco

richardfunnell

Thanks Marco, that would work too! Materials on labels means that this effect can be achieved in a variety of different ways :)

bdesign

Here's an addtional alternative, which can be fully controlled within the KeyShot Material Graph, without needing to create additional textures or adjust transparency in Photoshop. I'm using Richard's provided KSP file as the base for this example. Here's the setup:

1. Connect the logo texture > (Source) Color Composite, set the Color Composite Background to 90% white, Blend Mode to Normal. Enable Two Sided for the logo texture.
2. Connect a Surface Backside Mask > (Input)Color To Number > (Source Alpha) Color Composite.
3. Connect the Color Composite to both the Diffuse and Diffuse Transmission of an Advanced material (the Diffuse Transmission connection isn't necessary, but it makes the decal "pop" inside the acrylic block).
4. Connect the logo texture > (Opacity) Advanced material. Set the Opacity Mode to Alpha.

With this node network, you can set the front and back textures or colors for the decal with the Source and Background parameters of the Color Composite node, and control the opacity of the front and back individually with the Output From and Output To parameters of the Color To Number node. KSP attached.

Cheers,
Eric

willd

Thanks everyone for your help, I've managed to get the result I was after.

I am now having issues when adding a coloured base. The colour should be seen through the clear acrylic but for some reason I'm getting a weird reflection. What's causing this and how do I make the turquoise visible?

I've attached .png and Keyshot file.

Thanks in advance.

bdesign

The cuboid bottom face and the base top face are coplanar, so they are "fighting". Set the translation Y of the cuboid to -.0001 and you will see the base color inside the plastic. Also, under the Lighting tab, you need to set Indirect Bounces to at least 1 (it was at 0), and you should increase Ray Bounces to 16-24 (it was at the default of 6).

Eric

ruari

Thanks so much everyone for your help with these questions.

Just wondering if you could point me in the direction of which environment/material/render settings to alter to reduce the noise on the graphic which is created using the advanced material method (@bdesign)? I have attached an example image of what I mean.

Esben Oxholm

My guess would be that you need to render with more samples.
What are your settings for the attached renderings?