Can I get the same result as Vray or even better using Keyshot?

Started by fa2020, December 29, 2016, 09:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fa2020

Is Keyshot as strong as Vray?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: fa2020 on December 29, 2016, 09:07:14 AM
Is Keyshot as strong as Vray?

Based upon what metrics? That's like asking, "is a Mac computer as good or better than a PC?" Both are different from one another in myriad ways. You can't say one is better than the other when they're not identical feature and technology-wise. Because of that, I don't think you'll find a yes or no answer to your question.

Given the above, I've interacted with many people who use both programs and use them for different jobs. A carpenter has a screwdriver and a hammer. When he has to drive a nail, he uses the hammer, but when he needs to drive a screw, he uses the screwdriver. Choice in software is the same... different tools for different jobs.

If I can assume you're asking about image quality... here are 4 metrics that I would use to measure the 'quality' of a rendering program:
1. Noise
2. Light Accuracy
3. Material Flexibility
4. Speed

KeyShot can produce renderings that are cleaner and sharper than many cameras can, regardless of the lighting scenario. You can render until your image shows no noise whatsoever. KeyShot uses raytracing technology and subsurface scattering algorithms to accurately simulate how light interacts with other KeyShot materials. KeyShot's Material Graph allows users to fine-tune their materials to their heart's content and offers great flexibility when building custom or procedural materials. Finally, speed is what KeyShot is known for. Both from a workflow and rendering standpoint.

Given the above, I'd say that KeyShot is an extremely capable program that is capable of producing extremely high-fidelity renderings very quickly. 

DriesV

Also, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Try to challenge yourself to match your V-Ray output with KeyShot. Sometimes 'bending' of the tool can provide unexpected results. I have been amazed at times at how people come up with ingenious solutions through creative use of KeyShot features.

What you should not do, is listen to people telling you "software x is better than y" while they have not really run software y through its paces.

Like Will excellently put it, a hammer is not stronger than a screwdriver. :)

Dries