Main Menu

Rendering Vegetation

Started by damianh10, May 05, 2017, 09:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

damianh10

This was an experiment using a model downloaded from https://www.cgtrader.com/. I used maps that came with it. Pretty pleased with the results.

Will Gibbons

Cool. Only critique I have is the lighting looks a bit washed out/flat. Try playing with some different interior HDRIs if you haven't. Also, if you change the plant material to translucent, you can get some nice SSS going on which might boost realism. Definitely a nice looking scene to start with.

damianh10

Thanks for the feedback  Will.

I just added a warmer light and I have to agree that it feels more natural and less like a studio setting.
I also did another pass using more ies light and less HDRI light. It adds more mood to the render. 

P.S. Loving the Podcast!

Will Gibbons

The 2nd one looks good. Definitely a step in the right direction. If you're using one or more physical/IES lights, then I'd turn the HDRI down in brightness a bit to get more contrast yet.

Also, see where the top edge of the plant's pot converges with the place where the wall and floor meet? That's really distracting from a composition standpoint. Those two small changes would really polish this piece.

Enjoy your weekend.

damianh10

Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 05, 2017, 12:56:03 PM
The 2nd one looks good. Definitely a step in the right direction. If you're using one or more physical/IES lights, then I'd turn the HDRI down in brightness a bit to get more contrast yet.

Also, see where the top edge of the plant's pot converges with the place where the wall and floor meet? That's really distracting from a composition standpoint. Those two small changes would really polish this piece.

Enjoy your weekend.

I realized I hadn't turned on the roof and the right wall so I was still getting ambient light from the HDRI. Just did one final pass with more contrast.

I didn't catch the pot lining up with the wall but I definitely see it now.

Thanks Again Will

Will Gibbons

Great job! I love the result!