Random stuff ( + The chosen one )

Started by Hossein Alfideh, January 09, 2017, 12:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

QuoteYes Martin,Tilting the HDRI helped a bit for creating some cool shadows I didnt get in my previous renders.
I'm attaching my results with the metallic paint material and moving my light source further away and in the second one without DOF,all rendered with 256 samples.

If all you require the physical light for is predominately colour casting, then a pin light added to the HDRi might achieve what you are after. You have size/power/colour controls fall off etc and you can reposition it as you tilt iff needs be. Physical lighting also behaves better with Lumens rather than watts, so that might also be an area to look at. IES lights are really dependant on unit scale, I am not sure if the IES light data itself takes size into account or if the dispersion is measured from the cup or from any given distance. I don't know enough about IES data sets or how they are created but I know KS default units behaves as if its inches. So, since you are creating an image that is good for the eye, it doesn't really matter if your drumstick is 18mm or 18inches as long as the image looks good to the eye.

Martin

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on January 19, 2017, 03:09:10 AM
I feel I'm contributing in taking this thread off-topic here, but those fireflies gets damn aggressive anytime I try to include a physical lighting object. For that reason, I usually steer clear of physical lighting if I have a lot of rough materials. Richard Funnel once posted a good tip which has helped me reduce it, and that is changing the units. When I import models from NX, they are usually in mm. Converting (correlate) to cm does calm the fireflies down a bit, but I'm never able to get completely rid of them once they have settled in (except for removing the physical lights).

No worries Magnus  :)
Will has given this exact tip , now I think I have to check the units again,I might have missed something.

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: TpwUK on January 19, 2017, 03:57:28 AM

If all you require the physical light for is predominately colour casting, then a pin light added to the HDRi might achieve what you are after. You have size/power/colour controls fall off etc and you can reposition it as you tilt iff needs be. Physical lighting also behaves better with Lumens rather than watts, so that might also be an area to look at. IES lights are really dependant on unit scale, I am not sure if the IES light data itself takes size into account or if the dispersion is measured from the cup or from any given distance. I don't know enough about IES data sets or how they are created but I know KS default units behaves as if its inches. So, since you are creating an image that is good for the eye, it doesn't really matter if your drumstick is 18mm or 18inches as long as the image looks good to the eye.

Martin
I totally agree,the eye measures the size comparing to the environment and objects around.as you said it doesn't really matter 18mm or 18inches. when I changed units to cm the IES became useless,I had to relocate it again.well this has been quit a constructive experiment for me but I think it's time to give pins a try.

Will Gibbons

Very strange! Interested to see what happens with HDRI only. If it's still being stubborn, you could try sharing the KSP to see if anyone's able to squash those fireflies.

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 19, 2017, 07:13:29 AM
Very strange! Interested to see what happens with HDRI only. If it's still being stubborn, you could try sharing the KSP to see if anyone's able to squash those fireflies.

This is finally done using only pins!
I imported the model with cm units then copied my materials from the mm model and pasted on the new model and multiplied textures scales by 10.I did not get a new result with IES light but then I tried adding pins and rendered it with 256 samples.here is the result.

Will Gibbons

Seems like some of the fireflies are gone... I'd let that sucker render overnight (max time 8 hours or so) and see what happens!

TpwUK

Works for me. You have lost some texture detail, but the overall image is better - more settled looking. I also like the mood, that stronger lighting down the left looking like a chink of light coming from an open door.

Martin

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 19, 2017, 11:48:15 AM
Seems like some of the fireflies are gone... I'd let that sucker render overnight (max time 8 hours or so) and see what happens!

thanks for your help will on this,I have rendered a small region for about 6 hours,it gets softer and better.

Quote from: TpwUK on January 19, 2017, 04:20:35 PM
Works for me. You have lost some texture detail, but the overall image is better - more settled looking. I also like the mood, that stronger lighting down the left looking like a chink of light coming from an open door.

Martin

Thanks martin,yes that warm glow was really necessary I guess.the overall image looks much better now with pins and it gets better if it renders for a longer time.thanks for your great tips dude.  :)

Will Gibbons

That latest crop there looks good. Definitely.

Hossein Alfideh

Hello guys,here are some other random stuff.Hope you like them. :)

LayC42

I like that ideas of that sugar happy pills.
The chair of the rooftop look a tad too bright. I would reduce the saturation a bit.
Just my first thoughts.

Goof job!

Will Gibbons

Stop man! You're gonna get arrested... if you keep killing it like this.  ;D Sorry... I had to. I love these. Is the background in the train station a backplate/image? Also, one thought on the rooftop render. Maybe some stronger DoF... Maybe the sign as a focal point? IDK. I don't think it's oversaturated. As for the ex-- or... happy pills-excellent texture.

guido732

That train station looks awesome. Great work on all of your renders!

TpwUK

Indeed the station rocks ... Well done Hossein

The pills look like some sherbet sweets we used to have in the UK when I was a kid but without smiley faces.
The outdoor scene wants pushing though.

Martin

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: LayC42 on January 29, 2017, 01:25:16 PM
I like that ideas of that sugar happy pills.
The chair of the rooftop look a tad too bright. I would reduce the saturation a bit.
Just my first thoughts.

Goof job!

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.that brightness might have been caused by a pin I used on my HDRI.I'll post some updates for sure.  ;)

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 30, 2017, 09:49:37 AM
Stop man! You're gonna get arrested... if you keep killing it like this.  ;D Sorry... I had to. I love these. Is the background in the train station a backplate/image? Also, one thought on the rooftop render. Maybe some stronger DoF... Maybe the sign as a focal point? IDK. I don't think it's oversaturated. As for the ex-- or... happy pills-excellent texture.

Haha!Thank you so much Will for your heart warming words,really appreciate it dude!
hmm,that's a pretty cool idea to set the focal point on the sign.I'm gonna post some updates real soon.

Quote from: guido732 on January 30, 2017, 10:38:31 AM
That train station looks awesome. Great work on all of your renders!

thanks man.  ;)

Quote from: TpwUK on January 30, 2017, 04:00:28 PM
Indeed the station rocks ... Well done Hossein

The pills look like some sherbet sweets we used to have in the UK when I was a kid but without smiley faces.
The outdoor scene wants pushing though.

Martin

I'm glad you liked them Martin.we had the same sweets long ago!they are kinda nostalgic. :)
yes I know that rooftop can be pushed,I just thought it would be nice to share it with you guys and hear some cool thoughts on it like what happened with my sunset in ny project . :)