Caustics: Physical lights shining through bottles

Started by cereal, February 22, 2017, 11:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cereal

Hello Community!

I'm having issues with properly setting up a lighting scene.
Down below is a screenshot from the Real-Time Render after 1 hour.

My idea was to produce caustics from these bottles with a lightbulb in the middle of this "ring" and onto the wall behind it.
I tried different setting: caustics enables; interior mode enable; increased the samples of the wall, the bottles and the lights, used primitives as a geometry for the light bulb, build a room...etc.

Maybe i'm just to blind to see the mistake..but i hope some of you can might help me out :)
The ksp-file is attached

Thanks in advance
best regards
Alex

Edit: just found one dumb mistake. my lighting-primitive surprisingly moved and wasn't in the center anymore.
Im just gonna let it bake for a while now

guest84672

Looks like it is working. Let's see what it looks like after a bit.

cereal

Still not what i want. I did the region render with max. samples at 500

guest84672

You may need to increase the number of ray bounces.

LayC42

I would try to use another material for the bottles. What type did you use?

DMerz III

If you're using solid glass shader, check your color input. If you have a value that isn't 100, you'll get darker than expected results. If you want dark green glass, try picking a lighter green color to start (with 100% white value), and play with the density slider to get darker tones. (hint, lower numbers gives you 'darker' appearance, in order to 'thin' out the color, increase the density number, it works a bit backwards from your expectation).

Maybe that'll help?

cereal

Increasing the ray bounces helped a lot! Thanks Thomas!

I used a white refractive glass from the library.

I tried using the solid glass, took a light green color, changed the density and as soon as i increase the samples..keyshot crashes..every time :/

guest84672

I can't reproduce the crash. Will look into it further.

Solid glass gives better results for sure.

cereal

If I go above 110 samples with the solid glass, Keyshot crashes.
I'm using 250 samples for the box and the lights

But I'm getting there now. Still 500 samples. The upper part is just a matter of time and max. samples, right?

guest84672

Where are you setting the samples? On the material level?

cereal

Yes within the material settings.
And i used 500 samples as maximum quality.

guest84672

There is no point in cranking up the material samples if you use max samples for your final render output.

cereal

Quote from: thomasteger on February 24, 2017, 03:02:13 PM
There is no point in cranking up the material samples if you use max samples for your final render output.
Youre absolutely right! It just gives me a better image of how the final render can look like.

Heres the last rendering i did. Used 900 samples as the final output

DMerz III

I saw recently on another post here that using the 'interior' mode with caustics will help clean up a lot of the noise quicker than without.
Have you given that a shot yet?

cereal