Animation Postproduction in After effect / using clownpass as a mask

Started by Ben J amin, January 18, 2017, 06:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben J amin

Hi,

I'm working on an animation. I rendered it in Keyshot, with clown (and depth) pass.
I added graphics etc in after effects. Now I want to brighten up a material - since I'm relatively new to AE, I thought it should be easy to use the clown pass, somehow track the color of the material, use it as a mask and brighten up that area.

Turns out it's not that easy (at least for me)
Did anyone ever do this? Whats the best way o do it? Any Ideas, Workaround or anything?

thanks in advance,
regards,
ben

Esben Oxholm

Hi Ben!

I think it should be possible to do it the way you describe.
However, the way I have done this is to  make a custom 'clown' pass.
I'll output the animation with all materials set to a flat black, except for the part I want to adjust. That part I'll assign a flat white material.

I then use this output as a 'track matte' for the adjustment layer in after effects.
Hope it makes sense to you. Otherwise just ask :)

Best,

Ben J amin

Hi Esben,
I actually thought about writing you directly about this problem, thank you for your answer!
I guess I'll do it your way, seems easyer.

I also had problems with the depthpass in AE, I could not solve them, so I rendered the DOF in Keyshot.
A tutorial of yours about the workflow in Keyshot+AE - especially with the renderpasses - would be so great! ;)
(you probably get a lot of requests like that)

thanks again,
Ben

PS: love your work!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Ben J amin on January 19, 2017, 08:42:50 AM
Hi Esben,
I actually thought about writing you directly about this problem, thank you for your answer!
I guess I'll do it your way, seems easyer.

I also had problems with the depthpass in AE, I could not solve them, so I rendered the DOF in Keyshot.
A tutorial of yours about the workflow in Keyshot+AE - especially with the renderpasses - would be so great! ;)
(you probably get a lot of requests like that)

thanks again,
Ben

PS: love your work!
Ha, that is great.
Thanks for the nice words.

It's very rare that I use renderpasses when working with animations. I think the case I'm referring to is the only time I've done it.
However, a KeyShot --> AE tutorial is not a bad idea :)

Let me know if you were able to solve your problem.

Ben J amin

Hey,

yes, I were.
Your approach was the solution. Pretty straight forward ones you rendered the "mask".
I'll post the animation, once it is released.

One thing about the depthpass - think about doing DOF in post: no re-rendering, if something is out of focus, everything is adjustable, so much more possibilities ;) I have to get this to work...

thanks again,
Ben

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Ben J amin on January 20, 2017, 04:23:20 AM
Hey,

yes, I were.
Your approach was the solution. Pretty straight forward ones you rendered the "mask".
I'll post the animation, once it is released.

One thing about the depthpass - think about doing DOF in post: no re-rendering, if something is out of focus, everything is adjustable, so much more possibilities ;) I have to get this to work...

thanks again,
Ben

Yeah, great quality DoF in post would be nice.
I haven't managed to get anything as great the DoF from KeyShot. Let me know if you manage to get some great results :)