Sandpaper/Stone Material

Started by Hawks89, January 21, 2017, 01:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks89

I regularly don't work with stones. Does anyone have suggestions for the creation of Sandpaper or a stone look similar to the picture. it is actual a diamond honing stick used for polishing

TpwUK

Fractal noise applied as a bump and scaled to suit. Your sample picture looks pretty flat so suggests a Diffuse material coloured to suit.

Martin

DMerz III

Also if you're familiar with the material graph editor, try using the procedural noise in the color/diffuse channel, and tweaking the colors to be slightly different but similar in hue, this will give you a nice variation. Apologies if this tip makes zero sense.

This example was made using a plastic shader type with, noise in the diffuse and specular channels as well as in the roughness and bump channels.
(turn off sync so you can change each noise texture independently).

Hawks89

dmerziii

looks great! thanks for the advice.

DMerz III

No problem! Also I should mention, I bumped up the IOR a bit higher than usual (I think I went with 3). This is more or less a shortcut to getting a bit more "specular" look in the "grain". There's probably better ways to go about this, but in a quick example, just wanted to show what's possible with the noise procedural!