Main Menu

Perfume

Started by imikej, February 10, 2017, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

Been working with glass to try to refine wayz to make it look realistic. I grabbed this bottle model and started in with the intent of first creating a clear glass version (the way it is in real life).  Once this one is done, I want to mess around with converting the glass to frosted.  Looking for any comments, reactions, suggestions about this one. 

dhkkdhkdhk

couldn't be better

amazing work!

Nils Piirma

Quote from: dhkkdhkdhk on February 10, 2017, 09:46:37 PM
couldn't be better

amazing work!

Amazing yes, but I think you could do better with some gradient backround in here :)

bdesign

Beautiful render! I especially like the surface tension meniscus detail on the liquid inside. +1 with Nils on the gradient background. Also, I have found that enabling NURBS mode when rendering glass with any curvature makes a marked difference in the reflection/refraction quality and realism. Yes, it takes longer to render, but with glass I think it is definitely worth it. Great work!

Cheers,
Eric

imikej

Great suggestions!  Really appreciate them.  With respect to the gradient background.  When I tired on in KS, it creates some unpleasantness in the glass and liquid.  Kinda like putting a black card (or other color in the scene).  Were you thinking of this in PS?  If you could be more specific, that would help.

bdesign

Hey Mike-

I'm guessing you were trying to use a gradient image as a backplate(?). Backplate images can definitely produce some undesirable "card-like" reflections/refractions, especially in studio product type shots. One alternative would be to add a Backdrop Ramp to your scene and apply a Color Gradient node to the Diffuse channel, with the Gradient Type set to View Direction. You can control the look of the gradient with the color stops, and also with the scale and Translation Z values of the Backdrop Ramp geometry. To keep the gradient parallel to the horizon, Set the Rotation Y value of the Backdrop Ramp to the difference between the camera Azimuth value and -90. This will keep the Backdrop Ramp perpendicular to the camera view. For instance, in my example scene the camera Azimuth value is -65, so the Backdrop Ramp Rotation Y value is set to -25. I've attached an example render and a link to the KSP file. Let me know how this works for you.

Link to KSP file: http://bit.ly/2kF3GZN

Cheers,
Eric

imikej

Hey, Eric--thanks for that tip.  Will give it a try!  Should work well.
Mike

bdesign

Quote from: imikej on February 11, 2017, 02:18:35 PM
Hey, Eric--thanks for that tip.  Will give it a try!  Should work well.
Mike
Sure thing, Mike. You're welcome. Let me know how it works out for you.

Cheers,
Eric

imikej

I want to thank Nils and Eric for their suggestions.  Especially, large thanks to Eric for taking the time to tell and show and provide a KSP.  The KSP was most helpful.  I've re-worked the image and I think achieved a much better result.  Interestingly, I can't render this with NURBS.  I'm suspecting it is because I modified the model.  Still looking for reaction, comments and/or suggestions.  Thanks again Nils & Eric.

NM-92

There is a clear improvement from the original image to this one. Only thing that bugs me a little is that the edge on the left is kinda merging with the background, so a tiny bit of contrast there would be nice. What material are you using on the cap ? It looks really good.

imikej

Thanks, Nils.  The cap is split with the top being different, so that I can put the gradient of light across.  Here is a screen grab of the rest of the cap.  Happy to share detail if you want more info.

Will Gibbons

Like Nico said, I the left shoulder of the glass blending into the background is distracting for me. Otherwise, pretty cool. I think it might be worth playing with some other colors on the background ramp too. Like, keeping it in the cool spectrum to contrast with the liquid and cap. Nice so far though.

bdesign

Quote from: imikej on February 12, 2017, 11:31:21 AM
I want to thank Nils and Eric for their suggestions.  Especially, large thanks to Eric for taking the time to tell and show and provide a KSP.  The KSP was most helpful.  I've re-worked the image and I think achieved a much better result.  Interestingly, I can't render this with NURBS.  I'm suspecting it is because I modified the model.  Still looking for reaction, comments and/or suggestions.  Thanks again Nils & Eric.
Hey Mike-

Definitely looks much nicer. Glad to hear the KSP was helpful. You're quite welcome :) What file format is the geometry?

Cheers,
Eric

imikej

Re. file format.  I brought the .MAX file into 3ds Max and exported it as a BIP.  I smoothed a couple of parts.  But, I also exported just a straight export (no smoothing).  The liquid was one piece, so I edited the geometry in KS to separate the top surface.  That may have made it so I couldn't render NURBS?

bdesign

Quote from: imikej on February 13, 2017, 02:37:14 PM
Re. file format.  I brought the .MAX file into 3ds Max and exported it as a BIP.  I smoothed a couple of parts.  But, I also exported just a straight export (no smoothing).  The liquid was one piece, so I edited the geometry in KS to separate the top surface.  That may have made it so I couldn't render NURBS?
Ahh...ok. If it was modeled in Max, then it doesn't have any NURBS information to render. Perhaps increase the iterations of the turbosmooth modifier to smooth out the glass corners a bit more (?)

Cheers,
Eric