Render Queue seems soooooo slow

Started by theAVator, July 07, 2017, 10:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the render queue take soooo long to process renders, does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

When I queue up a single render, it typically takes anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes to add it to the render queue. When I hit "Process queue" it usually cranks away for about 4-8 minutes before actually bringing up the render window and actually rendering. Upon reaching 100% and closing the render window, it then cranks away for another 5-10 minutes before the next render window comes up and starts rendering. Is this how it's supposed to work?

I typically work with large files (1-12GB in size), but there really isn't any noticeable difference in times among those sizes. And, typically if I'm working in a file, I'll queue up like 10-30 images to render out - it's not like 20 different files or anything.

so, idk just something I've noticed. Is there anything going on in the background that we don't see, or that could maybe be streamlined in future releases?

mattjgerard

Sounds like its loading the scene data, but that sounds like a long time. With my modest scenes .5-1gb, it usually takes 30-60 seconds to open the project, and about the same for the background render to kick in when I hit go.

Are you talking network rendering or just local render queue? What is your RAM situation, got enough? In my thinking it shouldn't take any longer to load the project into the renderer when using the queue than it takes to open the project. Unless you have some huge texture maps, which I've run into when using stuff from poliigon. I learned that most of the time the 4k or 6k maps are plenty big, and the "Hi-Rez" maps are nearly unmanageable.

theAVator

I'm just using the Local Render Queue. I usually just queue up a bunch and then let it render overnight when I leave work.

I'm running 64GB RAM
64bit Windows 10 Enterprise
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1660 v3 @3.00GHz

I guess it sort of keeps in line with the actual project open time. These are pretty large and complex models - typically full engineering models of vehicles, so time to open is usually in that 2-8 minute range. The current file I have open shows 657,523,087 triangles in the HUD. So I get if it should take a lil bit of time to do its magic, but just wondering if there are areas to improve a little bit? I'm just not sure if its like this just because of my situation, or if its this long for everyone, or whatevs.

It sorta seems like opening the file, rendering, closing the file, opening the file, rendering, closing the file, opening the file...etc, takes a lot of time especially if its the same file over and over. Could there be a way to check if the next render is the same file and just load the different parameters instead of closing and opening the same file?

mattjgerard

That would certainly speed things up for someone in your situation. I wonder if there is something in the configurator tool in KS7 that would be able to work with that idea. Send an email to the beta team, I think its beta@luxion.com and see if you can grab onto the beta program and test it out.

Cheers

HaroldL

Quote from: theAVator on July 10, 2017, 07:28:45 AM
. . . It sorta seems like opening the file, rendering, closing the file, opening the file, rendering, closing the file, opening the file...etc, takes a lot of time especially if its the same file over and over. Could there be a way to check if the next render is the same file and just load the different parameters instead of closing and opening the same file?
Can you use Scene Sets? From the videos I've seen, and the little I've used them, it sounds like they would help out in your situation. They should alleviate the issue of the repeated opening, render, closing the same file. Once the file is open it would just switch between Scene Sets. Just a thought.

mattjgerard

Quote from: HaroldL on July 10, 2017, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: theAVator on July 10, 2017, 07:28:45 AM
. . . It sorta seems like opening the file, rendering, closing the file, opening the file, rendering, closing the file, opening the file...etc, takes a lot of time especially if its the same file over and over. Could there be a way to check if the next render is the same file and just load the different parameters instead of closing and opening the same file?
Can you use Scene Sets? From the videos I've seen, and the little I've used them, it sounds like they would help out in your situation. They should alleviate the issue of the repeated opening, render, closing the same file. Once the file is open it would just switch between Scene Sets. Just a thought.

That's a great idea, in fact I might try that with some of my files. I'm still too stooopid to figure out exactly how scenes sets are linked, and I'm sort of procrastinating until KS7 comes out so I don't have to re-learn Studios. But that is something I'm willing to put to the test, at least with my projects that include a single product with a couple differernt configurations with accessories and colors and such.