"Hide geometry but still let it have it's impact on the scene"-Material

Started by neno, February 16, 2017, 11:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neno

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and really looking forward to learn more and share knowledge.
There have been requests about a material that hides an object from the camera, but still let's the object have an ipact on the scene, like apearing in an mirror or something like that.
I know that you can work you way around a bit wir the render layers/render passes and PS, but than there are cases where it is not possible or would be very time consuming.

I tried the method explained in this topic: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12745.0
(I didn't write there, because it is locked)

This really eliminates this problem but I cannot bring it to work for me. I'll post my example and the material graph. I have an german interface.

Thanks in advance!

bdesign

Hello neno, and welcome to the forum :)  It was I who posted the method in the thread you referenced. You need to uncheck the Repeat (Wiederholen) option for the grau.jpg texture. Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,
Eric

neno

Thank you very very much! That scene works now perfectly.

I tried it with various scenes and with different focal lenghts (the longer the better) and as you explained, shifting the texture in +/- directions helps getting rid of the blank spots.

For the future it would be nice to just select the object and make this with checking a box, but as for now that's a really nice and working solution.
Thanks again!!

bdesign