Catia & Material Templates

Started by wallybanger, January 22, 2017, 12:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallybanger

I'm trying to import Catia models into Keyshot 6 and use the Material Template feature to apply materials to my model.

The model I'm working with is VERY large so I'm finding that renaming every part to work with the Part Mode material templates is too much work.  Also, there are a lot of assemblies that can all be the same material but assembly renaming does not seem to work for Material Template application.

I'm having similar problems with Material Mode Material Templates.  They seem to work OK but don't work with Catia Materials, only colours, which is fine except that only the low level colours are picked up.  So if I apply a colour to an assembly or a part it is not picked up... only colours applied directly to faces and solid bodies at the sub-part level are detected.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just limited functionality?  There really doesn't seem to be much point in having material templates if they are just as, or more, tedious than manually applying material to every part.

guest84672

There are limitations in terms of what information we can get from the CATIA file through the importer.

Naming an assembly should work. Let me check on this.

Also, you can add wild cards like "*" to the part names.

Rex

Are you renaming inside of KeyShot? This will not work as material templates reference the original object/material names.

guest84672

BTW - where are you renaming parts? Inside CATIA or inside KeyShot?

Are you trying to set up the template so you can use it over and over again? One thing you can do is apply materials in KeyShot first to parts and assemblies, and then create the template based on those assignments.

wallybanger

Quote from: thomasteger on January 26, 2017, 12:27:13 PM
There are limitations in terms of what information we can get from the CATIA file through the importer.

Naming an assembly should work. Let me check on this.

Also, you can add wild cards like "*" to the part names.
Ok, thank you!

Yes, I have been using wildcards.
Quote from: Rex on January 26, 2017, 12:31:18 PM
Are you renaming inside of KeyShot? This will not work as material templates reference the original object/material names.
No, I am doing everything in Catia
Quote from: thomasteger on January 26, 2017, 12:32:25 PM
BTW - where are you renaming parts? Inside CATIA or inside KeyShot?

Are you trying to set up the template so you can use it over and over again? One thing you can do is apply materials in KeyShot first to parts and assemblies, and then create the template based on those assignments.
I'm doing everything in Catia and yes, I'm trying to set up the templates so I can import different models (in which I have named/coloured things appropriately) and have Keyshot recognize and apply materials automatically.

wallybanger

Anyone?  Is this not functionality that should work correctly?

Rex

Hey Wally,

I just ran a quick test with a CATProduct file and had no issues.

See video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Q3tXd9kqU

wallybanger

OK, awesome, thanks.  I'll try some tests on my end and see what I come up with.  So are the #:#:# entries just RGB values?  Maybe the problem was partially what I was specifying as a "source" but I still think the upper level assembly colours not being pulled in is going to be a problem.

Rex

Yes they are RGB values. Let me know how it works out.