Color Management in KeyShot? Wide Gamut monitor issue

Started by azonicbruce, January 26, 2011, 06:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azonicbruce

Wondering if KeyShot is color-managed, similar to PhotoShop/Illustrator. I'm noticing that on wide-gamut monitors, like my Dell U2711, the colors seem to have issues between the render and final output, especially to an output like sRGB for web use.

How are most of you dealing with this issue?

JeffM

If you output to tiff do you get the same issue?

Also, try exr which you can then apply your color space when converted to 8bit.

azonicbruce

No , no difference. I'm thinking though that it's really just boiling down to having a wide-gamut monitor, and I just need to figure out the right workflow. My guess is by default, KeyShot is outputing the monitor's colorspace, and therefore when brought in to Ps or something similar, it will simply need to be assigned the proper output colorspace (since none of the rendering made so far appear to have any embedded color profile). Below is a screenshot, showing the "richer" colors of the Ps and KeyShot versions (note the screenshot itself is now sRGB and doesn't show as dramatically as on my monitor).

I guess I'm wondering if there's some way that KeyShot can realtime render in the sRGB colorspace (or whatever other colorspace our intended output may be) so that the workflow is more WYSIWYG.

JeffM

Thanks for that screenshot. I'm using a Lacie 324, which is wide, but looking at your monitor's specs, not as wide.

I'll test further and see what we can do.

You are getting the same results with exr?

azonicbruce

EXR comes in a bit different, a bit "over-exposed", so I don't really know.

JeffM

EXR is 32 bit, so the PS preview is always a bit strange. Go to Mode and change it to 8 bits.

andy.engelkemier

32 bit in photoshop is still assumed to be in linear space, so all you have to do is change the gamma to .4545 (the inverse of 2.2) and it will look just like you rendered it.