AMD 1950X Threadripper | Windows 10 64-bit | 16-Core 3.40 GHz | 262.4 FPS

Started by SteveTalkowski, September 07, 2017, 12:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTalkowski

Just got an AMD 1950X Threadripper in the studio. Of course, one of the first things to test is KeyShot. :) This machine is a beast!

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core/32-Thread Processor 3.40 GHz
128 GB RAM
64-bit Windows 10
GeForce GTX 1080Ti

The camera benchmark averaged 260 FPS

Here is a video testing out the toon shader on my KeyShot Avatar robot:

https://youtu.be/cse1Z0OqJCY

Will be posting more results to that youTube channel, check back periodically over the next few weeks.

Thx!

-Steve

mattjgerard

My gosh. Now if they would only come up with a dual CPU setup.

Game. Set . Match.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on September 07, 2017, 01:41:33 PM

Game. Set . Match.

This. Yes. Funny how when we're given an inch we want a mile. I'm not sure I can justify a new personal build for jumping from my hex-core machine to a 16-core... when a dual chip setup would put me on 32 cores... sigh. I don't think that's in the cards for this chip though. I guess we need to see what they'll roll out for server hardware. (soon hopefully)

menizzi

In the Fobes interview they do say they are going to make more Thread Ripper products so they could turn on the other two dies and go 24 core and 32 core TR.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on September 08, 2017, 12:09:16 PM
Quote from: mattjgerard on September 07, 2017, 01:41:33 PM

Game. Set . Match.

This. Yes. Funny how when we're given an inch we want a mile. I'm not sure I can justify a new personal build for jumping from my hex-core machine to a 16-core... when a dual chip setup would put me on 32 cores... sigh. I don't think that's in the cards for this chip though. I guess we need to see what they'll roll out for server hardware. (soon hopefully)

Exactly. I was just thinking of that when I was reading some other testing results of that chip. All the reviewers were blown away from with the benchmarks, no one could really find a negative thing to say,  but every single article ended with some version of "but if they could only do this". And I'm totally guilty of it. And I get caught up in it. At my last job, I was ever looking for the upgrade, the faster computer, the better plugin, etc. Then about 3 years ago I finally realized that people with 20% of the resources I had were doing work that was 10000% better than mine, and it made me mad. So i changed my way of thinking, and realized that the limitations to my work are in my own head, not in the box sitting under the desk.

144fps is good enough for me for now.