Main Menu

Numerical sizing

Started by Paul Lang, March 10, 2017, 02:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lang

Unless I am missing something somewhere, it would be great to be able to resize an object/model numerical by entering your desired dimensions and not just a slider

guest84672

You can always type in the scale factor.

Paul Lang

Not the same. If you want to make an object say exactly 4' 3" wide etc. you can't do that with percentages/scale factor with easy. The ability to numerically enter that exact size would be much easier and awesome for a number of reasons. Depending where where your source models come from ie. modelling them you see, stock models or a combination of both, getting exact size/scale can be a challenge with in Keyshot. Seems like a no brainer to just be able to enter the physical size you want your models to be within Keyshot.

DriesV

This is not so easy to do, as different groups in the model hierarchy can have different scales. The size is always a function of the scale.
I can see how it could be useful to directly see the size update as the scale is adjusted though.

Dries

Paul Lang

Sorry I'm just not buying it, I think every graphics/CG program on the planet has the function to physically enter exact dimensions to whatever it is you have created or imported. I remember working on a tv series in the late 90s with a render program called Electric Image, even then when you imported an object/model etc. you could enter physically accurate dimensions. My intention is not to be rude but this seem to be a rudimentary function that has been left to the modelling programs. Heres the problem, I'm not a modeller, I believe a good portion of your user base are not either. I'm an advertising photographer, creative retoucher and use Keyshot as part of our work flow to import models, texture and light scenes for the print advertising industry. We find it a real hassle to constantly bring said objects into a modeller to insure the objects were created accurately/scale them appropriately then bring them into Keyshot. This is particularly time consuming when working with several models from several sources. So to your reply - Keyshot already tells us exact dimensions of a model in the properties pain and does update when you scale an object, so why is it we can't change scale/size based on actual proportions? or making that pain an active entry box? seem the program is already doing it in reverse... just saying. ps. love the program though.