Label angle tom foolery

Started by mattjgerard, March 23, 2017, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Hey y'all, I'm having some goofyness with my labels. I go and apply a label using normal projection, and it looks like it is applied straight, I use the "Position" cross hair tool to drag it around, and when I click on the label to move it, the label turns, maybe 3-4 degrees kittywampus. I can compensate for it by using a +4 deg in the angle slider, turn off the position tool for the label, and all is good. I go back to skootch it a wee bit more again using the position tool, and it goes of kilter the other way. I zero out the angle slider and all is good.

It does this with most projection modes, but not every time I apply a label. The geometry is pretty clean, nothing real odd there, so I'm not sure why its doing this randomly.

I just went to grab some screen shots for you, and it wouldn't do it. But, I notice that it only does it once, after I zero out the angle slider, I can adjust to my hearts content and it behaves properly.

Any ideas?

Matt

NM-92

I had this issue before. Now i apply all my labels in ortographic mode from a specific view (front,right,etc) This will position the label centered and straight. You can then position it with the X and Y slider.

mattjgerard

Right, good idea. I'll give that a try. Cheers!

Robb63

learned how to work around this a long time ago in Keyshot. The "Normal Projection" setting is to me the easiest to use to get the result I want 98% of the time.
What I do now is when I'm ready to apply a label, I move the view around until I get a pretty good view of the area where I'm applying the label. Then I check the "camera azimuth" and change the angle (usually just slightly) to a number that is typically either  0, 90, -90, or 180. This puts me normal to most parts that I would be applying a label on.

It seems much more complex in writing it down here than it is in practice.
In practice it's a couple of mouse clicks, and becomes pure muscle memory after a short while.

Will Gibbons

All work. I tend to work in planar projection as it's truly planar... so if your surface is normal to either the x,y or z axis, you're good. Also, as pointed out by Nico, the label will always be parallel to the camera. That said, if you wish to use normal projection, make sure the camera is normal to the surface you're placing the label onto.

Good news is, these workarounds will no longer be needed in KeyShot 7!

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on March 27, 2017, 07:48:45 AM

Good news is, these workarounds will no longer be needed in KeyShot 7!

Good gosh man, quit teasing!