Cloth weave shiny effect

Started by shannonsomford, March 13, 2017, 01:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shannonsomford

Hey,

I am new to the 3D rendering software and I need some help to render a material which is shiny and has a cloth weave through the base material.
I have attached a few pictures of the material I am looking to make.
Do you guys have any tips on how to make something like this?

Esben Oxholm

I would try out a plastic or paint material with very low amount of roughness and a bitmap texture with the weave structure in the bump channel :)

designgestalt

hello Esben,
weave structure for the bump would have been my choice as well, however I found it difficult to control the different threads.
to my understanding, you can only control the width of the stiches and the space in between two threads.
but here it seems to be a very small stich with a lot of spacing in between the next stich.
is there also a possibilty to control the lenght of the stich?
thanks
designgestalt

NM-92

Hello. I think you can get something similar with the poligonal pattern procedural. You can control the shape, spacing and bump strength to achieve your desired texture. Mat graph and test image attached.

shannonsomford

thanks for the info! I will try your solutions and see what I can make of it  ;D

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: designgestalt on March 13, 2017, 07:53:19 AM
hello Esben,
weave structure for the bump would have been my choice as well, however I found it difficult to control the different threads.
to my understanding, you can only control the width of the stiches and the space in between two threads.
but here it seems to be a very small stich with a lot of spacing in between the next stich.
is there also a possibilty to control the lenght of the stich?
thanks
designgestalt
Hi designgestalt.
True. I also thought of creating the bump pattern using photoshop or illustrator to get the exact pattern you are looking for. You can do much with the procedurals, but it is not always enough :)

shannonsomford

I managed to create the bump effect pretty similar but is there also a way to get the bump a color?
It needs to be a little white..

Esben Oxholm

Yup.
1. Duplicate your bump map
2. Drag the output of the new duplicate into the color channel of your material.
3. Uncheck the sync button in the duplicate.
4. Change the colors to get what you are after.

Hope it helps :)

shannonsomford

thanks for all the help and info!
I think this is pretty much as good as I can get it.

designgestalt

hello Shannon,
you might want to try this material as a base.
take a look at the attached screengrab.
you can control the colors when you open the material graph and change the colors in the color gradient. the light green is the forground color (bumps) the darker green your base material.
I added a slight noise to the material, so that it does not look too clean.
for some reasons I couldn't get the the two maps I projected (diffuse and bump) to synchronize. that seems to be a bug, sometimes that happens. if you want to change the scale of the map you have to do it in both instances (bump and diffuse)
playing around with the map in PS might get you to to a closer result to your material!
the metal material is added as a label. with this you can control the shininess of your material.
hope it helps !
if you have problems with the material, let me know !
regards
designgestalt

shannonsomford

Hello designgestalt,

I used your material and tweaked it a little bit.
It looks great now! Thank you for the help  ;D

designgestalt

hello Shannon,
glad I could help you...
one last suggestion:
it propably makes sense to change the projection mode from box to cylindrical.
I think your moire effect results from the way you project your material onto the model.
if you chose cylindrical, the top surfaces will show a distortion of your material. if you want to have your material showing also on the top surface, you should subdivide your ring into different surfaces and than project the material again from the top. tweak the material until the two side match!
looks good already!
regards
designgestalt

shannonsomford

Hello Designgestalt,

Thanks for the info! It helped a lot  :D ;)