Main Menu

Line guides

Started by mattjgerard, March 23, 2017, 02:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Would be great to have some sort of overlay guides in the orthographic views (left, right, top, front, back etc...) that would aid in lining up objects or especially labels. Just like guides in photoshop or aftereffects.

If you really wanted to go all out, you could make them 3D and have them available in all views.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on March 23, 2017, 02:06:54 PM
Would be great to have some sort of overlay guides in the orthographic views (left, right, top, front, back etc...) that would aid in lining up objects or especially labels. Just like guides in photoshop or aftereffects.

If you really wanted to go all out, you could make them 3D and have them available in all views.

So, if you haven't found it already, we do have an overlay grid... it's found in the camera tab. See the grid button on the attached image. It's not fully customizable, but it does come in handy as-is.

Also, if you want 3D 'lines' planes should work. Just add a plane (or 3) and use the position tab to move them by desired increments and use them for reference. You could apply a solid opacity texture to them to make the ghosted.

mattjgerard

Ah, I haven't seen the grid function, that's great! And I have used the planes before for alignment, and yes, that I one way of doing it, so between the two, I think that would cover it. The only issue I would see is that when you go into a TOP or SIDE view in the main live viewer, it isn't truly an orthographic view, it still has perspective to it, evidenced by of you slide the view around, there is still a vanishing point effect. Alignment guides don't work when the perspective changes. But using the planes would solve that. maybe just get the customizable guides int he geometry view where its a true 2d view from the orthographic views. I use the geometry viewer to align stuff quite a bit.

Esben Oxholm

Hey matt.

If you need it you can also under the camera settings change the mode to 'orthographic'. I use that when aligning models.

mattjgerard

These tips have helped greatly in lining things up. Especially changing the camera type when doing this. Thanks all, this one can be pretty much closed out as far as I'm concerned. Just need to work within the app :)