Getting sunshine to come through background panel

Started by Rida, March 29, 2017, 06:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rida

I am new to keyshot and am working on an interior scene.  I have added a HDRI background environment to simulate sunshine shining through the windows.  I also have geometry on the outside of my windows to show a picture of some background city scapes.  My problem is just how to I get the environment to shine through the background panel so that I have sunshine in my apartment but can still see the background image.   

The first image is with the background ticked in my model tree, the second with it unchecked.

LayC42

Nice render!

What material type is the background plane?
I would use emmissive or area lighy to push some extra light in.

Hope that helps

mattjgerard

I guess for this, I would be looking at doing the background comp in photoshop, not in Keyshot. Would give you more control over the look and swapping it out if needed. That way there is no geometry blocking the light coming in the window as well. That's probably the main problem youa re having is that the HDRI lives on the outside of everyting in the scene, so if you put geometry in the way it will act the way it should and block the light from the HDRI. Render that puppy with an alpha and comp it in PS and I think you will get what you are looking for.

I think.

M

Will Gibbons

As Richard points out in this webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50qIeiKqPTA you can use an area light and uncheck 'make visible in shadows'. In this case, your HDRI will pass through the plane you're using to add light to the scene. If you have geometry (such as trees) outside the house and area light plane, those shadows (cast by the tree via HDRI) should pass into the interior.

Hope that helps.