Main Menu

UV Mapping

Started by guest83783, July 08, 2015, 05:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

Quote from: dmerziii on January 12, 2017, 08:04:49 AM
:) It is only my first time using it just this week, but it seems fairly responsive. Granted, I've only been using it to UV unwrap this ONE object, and haven't used it for anything else it is actually supposed to do. (I'm also using a pretty beefy Dual XEON E-5-2660 v3 cpu machine with 64GB ram.)

I'm also pleased we finally found something that could actually solve this major issue. Unfortunately, we won't be buying a license because we just don't have a need for VRED otherwise, and UV issues don't arise with every job, just once in a while, and always a pain since we're receiving the CAD from different sources every time.

It does give me hope that there is now a piece of code out there that makes this possible.
My current workflow is fairly simple ...

• CAD --> STEP
  • STEP --> KeyShot with Tessellation .2 or .3
If the model does not map correctly or is problematic then work out the problems. If faces are facing wrong direction then flip with the KS Geometry Editor. If that doesn't fix things or if there are still mapping issues then it's time to call on other apps.
  • STEP --> MoI3D for editing the model.
  • MoI3D --> OBJ using angle 40 and using NGons.
  • OBJ --> Blender for UV Unwrapping and repairing the mesh object topology and applying Sub Division modifier(s) suitable for render views. If doing close ups then more SubD levels are required. You can do Low to Extreme mesh density and export as you go along, this way you can import the right model with the right amount of density for the view to be rendered. You can export the UV Unwrapping as a bitmap to whatever resolution 4K for example for hand painting materials and or textures.
  • Blender --> Render ready OBJ for use with KS
The above workflow is the subject of Part5 which I have started to write but need more time to complete.

Martin

TpwUK

Part 5 added to list posted above

Martin

DMerz III

Excellent Martin, thanks once more for sharing your process. I am not traditionally a 3D guy, I come from a graphic design/photography background, and have been trying to learn a lot of this stuff on my own accord.

It's very helpful to have it spelled out and gain some exposure through more experienced 3D designers.

Appreciate your help on this! I have played with Blender's UV editor before, and I think I get overwhelmed because I export a super fine mesh with MOI3D instead of going from a  "crude export" followed by the sub-D route. Now that you mention you're going as high as 40 degrees on the N-Gons, I should try that, would definitely make the seams easier to follow.  ;)

Looking forward to the next right up, as re-topology is a concept I understand in theory but do not always grasp fully in practice.

(I also need some more practice with Blender, the UI is not as intuitive as MOI3D!)

TpwUK

Quote from: dmerziii on January 16, 2017, 08:25:47 AM
Excellent Martin, thanks once more for sharing your process. I am not traditionally a 3D guy, I come from a graphic design/photography background, and have been trying to learn a lot of this stuff on my own accord.

It's very helpful to have it spelled out and gain some exposure through more experienced 3D designers.

Appreciate your help on this! I have played with Blender's UV editor before, and I think I get overwhelmed because I export a super fine mesh with MOI3D instead of going from a  "crude export" followed by the sub-D route. Now that you mention you're going as high as 40 degrees on the N-Gons, I should try that, would definitely make the seams easier to follow.  ;)

Looking forward to the next right up, as re-topology is a concept I understand in theory but do not always grasp fully in practice.

(I also need some more practice with Blender, the UI is not as intuitive as MOI3D!)
2D Garden designer back in the day and a photographer too. The latter has helped a lot when rendering but I was mainly outdoors photography
so lighting was not such a big deal. I think Modo and Lightwave are probably the finest poly modelling apps. Blender is very much like Maya with regards to modelling, Blender is quicker though once you get the hang of it.

I have written part of the next guide, which is probably enough to get you through the process of repairing  the model and getting some better topology, I can post it later if you want to have a read and a go at it to see how far you get, otherwise it might still take me a few days to write it all up to where the model parts are all re-unitied with decent mesh flow

Martin

DMerz III

:) Thanks Martin, please take your time,  your efforts have already paid off tremendously, already!
That being said, I am still very interested in what your next set will include. But I can wait until they're ready.

I have taken another look into Blender. It actually came in handy yesterday when we needed to simulate a draped piece of cloth, and the nice thing about starting with the polygonal modeler there was the UVs were easy to unwrap in one click. Powerful program indeed, and when used with Keyshot, we're getting some great results. Very pleased.

NM-92

Ahhh. I was so happy when i first simulated cloth in Blender ! Combine that with some Poliigon fabric textures and UV and you will be drooling all over your screen :P