patches on clear rough plastic

Started by adidasrinnegan, April 17, 2017, 03:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adidasrinnegan

Hi all, first poster so excuse my ignorance if i disrupt any rules. Basically having a problem with one of my renders where I am applying the clear rough plastic material to the exterior of a bag that has a clear water filled texture with an added blue colour. The issue im having is that the plastic bag displays these patches that i cant seem to get rid of. Tried messing around with the water and plastic caustics and other but no result.

Images attached, all help appreciated. 

TpwUK

Scale you liquid down by a fraction .01 for example, you have two surfaces fighting for the same space ;)

Martin

mattjgerard

Haha! Same thing I posted on their question on the reddit forum.

DMerz III

Another way to solve this would be to use the 'inner surface' of the plastic pod as a separate part, which you would make your liquid, let the outter surface be defined as your clear plastic pod. That way there's not an 'air pocket' between the liquid and the plastic.

LayC42

Quote from: DMerzIII on April 18, 2017, 08:56:44 AM
Another way to solve this would be to use the 'inner surface' of the plastic pod as a separate part, which you would make your liquid, let the outter surface be defined as your clear plastic pod. That way there's not an 'air pocket' between the liquid and the plastic.

I do not agree with this. 'Cause there should be no overlapping meshes nor gap between two parts. Just like in the same case of liquid to glass or liquid to ice you need to use different materials. The rough plastic for the outside surfs and a dialetric for the plastic/liquid. Take care of the correct IOR  (refractionindex).
Maybe this link could be helpful?
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=14200.msg72541#msg72541

Cheers

DMerz III

Sorry LayC42, that's what I meant, but didn't describe properly. I meant taking the inner surface of what is already the pod and having it split so you can make it a separate part. (and removing the mesh for the current liquid part altogether). The link you reference explained it way better!

LayC42

There is a great webinar from Richard Funell describing this topic
https://youtu.be/HlxF9peYod0