shadow gets too sharp

Started by mo, April 22, 2017, 02:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo

Rendering same model in Keyshot and Arnold,

I love Keyshot render but there is one thing stopping me.

around pocket on attached picture, the edge of pocket gets very sharp shadow edge.  I have same issue on other small parts on this model.

Are there way to reduce this sharpness??

Thanks!

Speedster

I must say the KeyShot render is way superior to the Arnold, especially in the lighting and texturing.  The shadow hardness depends entirely on the HDR you choose- there are many that throw soft shadows, without washing out the textures, if that's what your goal is.  I suggest playing with all of the HDR's available and see the difference.
Bill G

mo

awesome, thanks for the info!! helps a lot...!!

Will Gibbons

Also, if you're lighting with physical lights, you can often adjust the 'radius' which will soften the cast shadow.

mo

guest84672

Another thing you can do is turn off "sharp shadows" in the render dialog under "Options -> Quality-Advanced Control".

That will give you softer shadows, but may have some unwanted side effects depending on the materials that are being used.

Speedster

Sometimes I use softer shadows, but also want them darker.  So I pull a .png and clown pass at render time.  Then I duplicate the layer in Photoshop, select the model on the clown and then delete the model leaving only the shadows.  This in effect "doubles" up the shadow, and you can also duplicate the shadow layer for even darker shadows.  There are other ways to do this, but this is simple and works for me.

Also see https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=14442.0 for more tricks.

Bill G