How to get a photo-realistic render?

Started by fa2020, May 05, 2017, 07:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fa2020

Hi guys, I provided you my last rim model which I made using Rhino. I got this result but I'm not happy with it.
Please use it to get a photo-realistic shot and then share it with me.
Thanks.

Speedster

QuotePlease use it to get a photo-realistic shot and then share it with me.
First off- we're not here to do your work for you.  We're here to help you along the path to perfect renders.  You do the work, post it, and we can help...

For starters, you really should add a sizable fillet at the juncture of each spoke and the rim to help prevent stress fractures and failure.

What exactly don't you like about it so far?  It would help if you can be more specific.  There's a lot you can do with materials and lighting, but what is your end goal?

Bill G

fa2020

Quote from: Speedster on May 06, 2017, 07:59:05 AM
QuotePlease use it to get a photo-realistic shot and then share it with me.
First off- we're not here to do your work for you.  We're here to help you along the path to perfect renders.  You do the work, post it, and we can help...

For starters, you really should add a sizable fillet at the juncture of each spoke and the rim to help prevent stress fractures and failure.

What exactly don't you like about it so far?  It would help if you can be more specific.  There's a lot you can do with materials and lighting, but what is your end goal?

Bill G
I'm not going to give it in rather I'm going to learn something. I'm a bit weak in lighting and materializing. I want to study your work and see how I can come to a photo-realistic image like what we see in the gallery section in this site.

Will Gibbons

Unfortunately, without asking specific questions, you won't receive specific answers. Most of us have spent years learning what we know and can't transfer that to another individual in an instant. The best way to get the best results is to understand the program completely.

If you haven't already, watch the free videos on the KeyShot Youtube channel. There are many, many hours of instructional material you can use to learn the program better.

texax

Easy answer would be you need to learn lighting but since that doesn't mean nothing to you or any other noob consider this instead: photo-realistic is nothing more than great amount of lights bouncing off many planes and surfaces and lighting the object both directly and indirectly. That's photo-realistic but what you are gunning for is most likely controlled studio lighting to present your product in the best light possible, no pun intended :)

Look at it this way, you can put your rim on let's say NSX and shoot it with the latest DSLR with some crazy lens and it will still not look right because natural lighting is all over the place. You would still need lots of post-processing and fake light simulation in Photoshop to accent all those edges and curves. So again, you need to control your lighting and Keyshot gives you just that. Play with one light first either with HDR Editor or with some spheres and planes with emissive material. Start with general sun like light to light up your scene first. Then look for 3-Point lighting on Google, that's the simple and basic setup, and start with that. From there on just play with light material attributes and camera.

What I can tell you right off the bat is that you will have some difficult time with your rim material because metals are quite tricky to get right. Sometimes if you want to make something chrome I suggest you not even to use default chrome material because it will not look good. You have to make sure your rims have some reflections on it. Not just the wide array of shades of gray due to lighting but some real reflections, in post you can desaturate the reflection and make 'em subtle. Also make sure your edges are not razor sharp in your spokes cause razor sharp looks wrong. Consider layering the material with some dirt particles or small smudges cause nothing can be perfectly clean in the real world. Most auto renders miss those dirt particles over metallic paint and thus it looks unnatural. 

Remember that everything that comes from Keyshot needs to be post-processed as well.  Sine you are rendering metals on neutral lights you will have to adjust your various luminance masks to get proper contrast and shape.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: texax on May 14, 2017, 12:59:22 PM
Remember that everything that comes from Keyshot needs to be post-processed as well.  Sine you are rendering metals on neutral lights you will have to adjust your various luminance masks to get proper contrast and shape.

While I think your intentions are well, this last statement is far from fact. Many of our customers are able to produce great renderings straight out of KeyShot. If you're requiring on post-processing to fix your KeyShot lighting, I think it shows that you don't have a great handle on using KeyShot's lighting tools.

The better anyone knows lighting, physics and photography, the easier it'll be to create photographic renderings. Good luck!