3D Modeling Software Recommendation

Started by kjshah, April 25, 2017, 10:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjshah

Hello,

I have a license for Keyshot  but lack an understanding of different types of 3D modeling software. I am looking to model photos of paper sheets and envelopes. The items have slight warps to them. Photo attached of what I would like the final result to look like.

Any suggestions on software that can be used would be great. Something that can be simple to learn would be best.

Thanks!

Will Gibbons

Honestly, this is very easy to do with a polygonal modeling  program. I'd stay away from CAD for this kind of work. You can easily create your surfaces, then add thickness to them and then do some slight sculpting to build in random waviness and finish it off with procedural textures in KeyShot.

I'd go with Blender because it's free. There's tons of learning materials out there. If you have access to Max, Maya, MODO even Zbrush are all capable, but none are cheap. I'd use Blender.

Good Luck!

DMerz III

I'd second that, Blender is free and can do this fairly easily like any polygonal modeler. The slight 'imperfections' are easier to get with polygonal modeling vs nurbs/cad modeling. Blender also has a huge community with lots of tutorials only to help you get started.

Check out BlenderGuru's beginner series for an overarching tutorial that will get your feet wet and familiar with the basics.

kjshah

appreciate so much the recommendation on blender and the steps on how to accomplish this.

will download it and play around with it.

thank you!

fario

hello,
You can try also:

ViaCad or SharkPro
http://www.punchcad.com

These are my daily tools.

Antoine

kjshah

thanks, punch cad looks interesting. and has a keyshot live link integration.  what are the things that you find harder to do in punch cad? 

Will Gibbons

I can't speak for Punch CAD, but if you're looking to pick up a 3D tool, I'd go with something that's very versatile, well-documented, has good support and is used by many to broaden your skills. As somebody with a product design background and I've used a handful of CAD applications, I've never heard of Punch CAD. The software may be great, but I bring up that I have a feeling Blender is far more flexible and will allow you to do much more down the road. Especially as CAD software tend to not support UV mapping.

kjshah

Thanks Will for the feedback. I've purchased some tutorials for blender and will work on those. Via Cad looks really nice and simpler to learn, but there is definitely for content available to learn blender.

Good point of the UV Mapping as well. I think that will be necessary for my needs also.

CoalHedgehog

I like the look of that Punch CAD.

What about Fusion 360?

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Pretty easy to learn with a lot of tutorials and Keyshot integration/live-linking.

Free until you start to use it commercially and then $300 per year.

texax

Honestly I would just use Photoshop for this. With paper texture, pentool and brush masking you can go a long way in Photoshop alone.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: texax on May 14, 2017, 01:07:34 PM
Honestly I would just use Photoshop for this. With paper texture, pentool and brush masking you can go a long way in Photoshop alone.

That's good and fine for one straight-on view, but not for multiple views or animations. ;)