Distributed Render - Single image

Started by andy.engelkemier, February 03, 2011, 12:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

This would be nice for real-time or render, but I'm referring to render in this case.

My renders take Way too long (in Keyshot).

Cutting the scene down I still have 1.5million triangles. I've got 15 other computers that aren't always in use. Maybe we can find a way to have those computers render too?

guest84672

Polygons don't influence render times. Your settings are most likely to high.

Netwrok rendering is what you are looking for. Contact Jeff.

andy.engelkemier

Hayden or McCartny?

Also, settings? I've tried turning glossy off on all plastic, reducing metal to only 8samples (which is too noisy), and turned raytrace to 4, shadow quality to 2. Most all of the samples are too low for decent quality and still a 1600x1028 render is taking over 1 hour, then doesn't look good.
It'd be awesome to have a quick tool to help me find the bottleneck.
I'm sure it's there somewhere, but with all the menu bugs I usually assume it's not something I did.
I really hope those are fixed soon. I never know I'd numbers are actually switching, or if they only switch when you come back to the menu, or really if thy only Show they are changed but are really what you set in the first place. I'm sure you know what I am talking about if you ever use any custom settings.
Every time I try add job to queue a couple settings change and I don't know if the rendering will turn out.

Robert V.

what are the specs of your finest pc? (CPU and memory)

andy.engelkemier

dual xeon (not sure of model) 3.2Ghz w hyperthreading. 24GB memory on Win7 x64
It's not the latest and greatest, but it's no joke of a machine either.

Chad Holton

Nice machine - surprised you're seeing performance issues. I'm curious what benchmark your machine would get, have you tried it? Are all cores being utilized?

"It'd be awesome to have a quick tool to help me find the bottleneck." - You can usually tell what materials are taking the longest when watching it render (I know, who want's to sit and watch it render), it will slow down on certain areas and those areas being your bottle neck(s).

guest84672

Jeff Hayden. "all the menu bugs" - please be more specific.

andy.engelkemier

I think they are mostly related to the same problem, so I'll wait till the next version to see if there are any left over. I heard some are already taken care of. I am definitely anxiously waiting for it though.
I'm going to back of on being overly critical of some of the issues I'm having now until we get that. What is it, another week off?

guest84672

Should be done this weekend. Beta is here on the forum in the Members Only area.

The bug you found with regards to quality presets and realtime rendering mode has been fixed.

andy.engelkemier

cool, installed the beta to try. no difference in speed, but that's all I have time for today. I'll wait to really give it a go till it's released. There seemed to be a big speed increase for transparent materials.

guest84672

The advanced material in particular has a significant - 15x - speed improvement when you use complex settings.

andy.engelkemier

oh nice tip. I can try that. Although, my benchmark is just plain slow, so maybe we're stuck being slow no matter what.