Main Menu

Birch plywood

Started by fox_pluto, May 03, 2017, 09:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 05, 2017, 09:57:36 AM
Nice thing about this approach, is with some time and care, you can make some completely procedural textures nobody else has. If you're likely to do more products with plywood, I'd think it's worth the hour or two to create a stellar material and then re-use as needed.

Then upload it to keyshot cloud  ;D

HaroldL

This is certainly timely. I just did a plywood panel test at work and was able to get the front and back surface plies but struggled a bit with the edges - trying to show the layers. I short cut the set up with the one plywood material I could find on the Cloud but really need something that gives a more realistic result.

Quote from: mattjgerard on May 05, 2017, 10:37:50 AM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 05, 2017, 09:57:36 AM
Nice thing about this approach, is with some time and care, you can make some completely procedural textures nobody else has. If you're likely to do more products with plywood, I'd think it's worth the hour or two to create a stellar material and then re-use as needed.

Then upload it to keyshot cloud  ;D
Uploading to the Keyshot Cloud is nice but learning how to create the material gives you an edge over and above.

Will, is the Color Adjust node after the Color Gradient node necessary? I bypassed it and saw no appreciable difference in the material. ??? Never mind - I just needed to "play"  with it a little to see its effect. :-[

Now if there was a way to zoom in to the incremental steps of the Color Gradient bar. . .

Will Gibbons

Quote from: HaroldL on May 05, 2017, 09:24:15 PM

Will, is the Color Adjust node after the Color Gradient node necessary? I bypassed it and saw no appreciable difference in the material. ??? Never mind - I just needed to "play"  with it a little to see its effect. :-[

Now if there was a way to zoom in to the incremental steps of the Color Gradient bar. . .

I used the Color Adjust node because I noticed my colors were too saturated and too dark to begin with, so that's a quick way to make global changes rather than individually adjusting each stop on the color gradient.

To 'zoom in', I agree. I think there should be a better way to work with this. Additionally, I think you should be able to copy and paste stops for quicker workflow. What you CAN do now to 'zoom in' is adjust your material properties window. See attached. I have a 34" ultrawide monitor at home and found that it can come in handy ;)

HaroldL

Will,
Thanks for the clarification on the use of the Color Adjust node.
As for the "zoom" function - my setup is a 17 inch laptop so I only get half of your results but it certainly helps. I think I run into a hard stop on the size of the matgraph window as it gets close to, or slightly over, the width of my monitor. Thought I could oversize it so it would run off the screen but that's not in the cards.  (34 inch, hard to imagine the work space that would give.)

Will Gibbons

Quote from: HaroldL on May 08, 2017, 05:59:16 PM
(34 inch, hard to imagine the work space that would give.)

No worries! I can attest it's worth the cost in productivity savings. Never switching windows and detailed work.