Main Menu

Real vs Render

Started by bronson, May 04, 2017, 05:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronson

Hi,

Just wanna share one of my recent work. It's a weighing indicator.

- Solidworks for 3D modelling (30 min)
- Illustrator for creating label (20 min)
- Keyshot for rendering (15 min)
- No post-work by Photoshop

I need to finish it ASAP so no time for HDRI, backdrop and some realistic touch. Thanks to KS for saving me!
The purpose of the rendering is for marketing material.

Hope u like it.

Bronson
http://www.pt-altraman.com

mattjgerard

Very nice! Similar to a lot of the work I do, quick turn, get it out ASAP sort of stuff. Not everything in production has the time for custom HDRIs and groundplane matching/motion blur/post work. I try to give myself time to do some PS work, but yeah, doesn't always happen. Sometimes it comes down to a screen grab from CAD or whatever I can get them in 2 hours :)

That's why I have a couple of personal project I work on over lunch, and learn as much as possible about what are the biggest contributors to being efficient.

Looks great BTW, nice work.

Speedster

QuoteVery nice! Similar to a lot of the work I do, quick turn, get it out ASAP sort of stuff.
+1!  The first shot is like about 90% of my work, to illustrate a new design for management review or print.  Simple, clean, effective, to the point. I call it the "Journeyman Approach".  Not all are quickies, but it's a style that my clients prefer.

The first image would benefit with a slight reflection on the glass.  One thing that can be tricky on products with clear glass is to capture a very subtle reflection on the glass, usually across a corner, sufficient to indicate glass, but not blow out the graphics panel.  My go-to environment is "Materials 2k", tweaked to an extreme blur in the HDR Editor.

After the basic rotation is established, you can usually dial it in using Height, without drastically changing the lighting.

Also, don't forget to pull some "toons"!  I always copy the model for toon, and give my client several shots to use on B/W printing, labels, IFU's and the like.  Also, toon has been approved for Design Patents (only, not Utility) by the U. S. Patent and Trademark office.

Good job!

Bill G

mattjgerard

+1 on the reflection. I normally will do that in Photoshop, as its a lot less finicky to get it right without changing what the HDRI is doing to the rest of the model. So often I get the product to look good with the HDRI in its place, but no matter how I tweak the HDRI I can't get a good reflection and keep the look on the product at the same time. So,  if I don't have the time (or patience!) I'll just pop into PS and do the glare there. Transfer modes,  layer masks and such are more familiar to me :)

Speedster

QuoteI normally will do that in Photoshop, as its a lot less finicky to get it right without changing what the HDRI is doing to the rest of the model.
Agreed!  But now I usually do the beauty shot with a clown, followed by another shot that gives me the reflection I want, then comp them in PS.  I'll have to try your technique!
Bill G

mattjgerard

Whatever works, I'm sure there are faster and better looking ways to get it done, I like trying alternatives when I can. I want to mess with render layers next, or maybe scene sets or view sets to render out the 2 images, one for the main image, and another with the glare I like by moving the environment. Then batch render it out in the background.

bronson

Thanks for all your nice words and sharing your experiences  :D