Main Menu

proxy not working?

Started by andy.engelkemier, February 07, 2011, 10:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I hadn't installed one of our licenses here yet so I got the chance to try it today.

I tried every combination I could think of, and we still had to send the license via txt file.

Process:
first note - it took a Really long time (probably 60-90 seconds estimated) to finally pop up that it couldn't find any internet connection and give the option to setup a proxy. Couldn't it just look at internet connection settings to get that?

I set it up with the same manual proxy we are running firefox with successfully and using the same port. It fails and give us the option to save a file. I cancelled that and decided to go another direction.

IE uses an automatic configuration script via a [http address]/proxy.pac procy address. I turned that off and used the manual proxy server, in case that doesn't work out. I tested the browser then to make sure it still worked properly. Yes, it does.
So now I tried running Keyshot again and activating it. Same problem. It hangs for a while, then asks me if we want to set up the proxy just like last time. I still tried to do that, but with the same results.

Hopefully we can get that fixed soon or it's going to be a pretty big pain if we finally finish purchasing another 50 licenses here. That's a lot of individual emails.
Maybe there's a way to just provide the information and get all of the licenses at once?

andy.engelkemier

it works once you have everything installed though, for checking for updates.

KeyShot

Thanks Andy. We are looking into this right now.

-- Henrik

Admin

Hi Andy,

We can implement the same protocol for the licensing as we have for the update communication.
It seems like the update works through the proxy for you, right?

Thanks,

Claus

andy.engelkemier

Hey Claus

as far as I can tell the update checker works. At least, no timeout. ;)

KeyShot

Hi Andy,

We just released 2.2.42, which uses the same proxy code as the update check.

-- Henrik

andy.engelkemier

Great News (mostly).

It works....mostly. lol

First, the timeout is a bit long. Is it 3 minutes? Maybe we can get that set to 30 seconds or so instead? I think if someone can't get an internet ping in 30 seconds they should be sending in the file anyway.

Second, the cursor is stuck in the hourglass the whole time, so it's a bit confusing. It still works, but it's definitely strange.

Is there a way I can set some sort of external file next to the install (or maybe run a command prompt install) so it already uses the correct proxy?

Now the semi-bad news. The update didn't work from my current install.

KeyShot

Hi Andy,

We will look into speeding up the licensing. We are being careful in this release, which is why it takes a little time before it gives up.

Regarding the update not working. Did it not download the installer?

Thanks,

Henrik

andy.engelkemier

the update won't connect for now. I think that was after I installed the floating version as well?

I guess it's just a bad idea to have both floating and node-locked on one computer?

guest84672

That has nothing to do with it. We will check into this.

andy.engelkemier

You're right. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled only the node-locked version and the update still doesn't work.

On a brighter note, the proxy did seem to work on a trial install, so that's great news.