problems with bump maps

Started by Ballista, March 13, 2010, 06:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballista

Hi
I've been having a few problems with bump maps ,the most recent one being that I had a model on a plane which was a metal material with a bump map and the normal mode checked(metal grate) ,and then decided to change the material to a general material added a texture and bump (it didn't look as I expected in real time)I started to render the image and could see the metal grate bump coming through.I tried reloading textures ,bumps ect to no effect. I changed the general material back to a metal and the bump was still loaded. I removed the bump from the metal ,went back to the general material ,and every thing was fine .
Are you aware of this problem?

Ballista

KeyShot

The bumpmap in the general material is actually a normalmap, and it is therefore a different format
than the bumpmap accepted by the other shaders. This link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping
has more information as well as pointers to programs that will make a normalmap from a regular image.

Ballista

All the referances in my first post refferd to normal maps used as normal maps.
In my post I said I used a metal grate material ,but this was in fact the headlight reflector material.
I recreated the material ,which I stated as being a problem ,but on reflection its something that could be quite usefull.

Ballista

Ballista

Attached are 2 bip files please check material properties.

Ballista

guest84672

The General Material has another bump map on the very bottom. If you loaded a bump map with a metal material and then change to a general material, it stays.

I admit that this is confusing, and will be addressed with v2. The goal is to eliminate the general material, and add more capabilities to the new texture mapping found with the other materials.

You know that you can apply a texture and a bump map with the metal material?