Main Menu

Skateboard

Started by ShubhamShah, May 12, 2017, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

One tip Will gave me a long time ago was to make sure to use the color picker on your reference image. Grab actual color data from the reference image, and that will help the color pallete fall within the "real" range of colors, if that is what you are going for. Left to our own devices, humans will usually choose richer more vibrant colors than occur naturally.

ShubhamShah

This is the reference image for the skateboard. The axle part is seen in the pic. How do I obtain this kind of metal finish?

LayC42

Maybe you'll willing to start a challenge. Share the scene without the materials (change everything to diffuse white) in here.
And everybody can share his/her results and scene.

Just an idea - even I'm not sure to have enough time to play with.

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

I'm game! I need something other than optical sensors to work on today!

ShubhamShah

Quote from: LayC42 on May 21, 2017, 05:39:22 AM
  Maybe you'll willing to start a challenge. Share the scene without the materials (change everything to diffuse white) in here.
And everybody can share his/her results and scene.

Just an idea - even I'm not sure to have enough time to play with.

Cheers
Marco
The project file is is 61MB. But, how do I upload it here?

mattjgerard

I don't think the forum with host the file, but you can post a dropbox link, wetransfer, google drive, onedrive or any other filesharing service.

ShubhamShah

NM-92

Hey. I played a bit with your scene. Here's my result. I can't share the package though since i used some Poliigon textures and i think they can't be redistributed. Upper metal is plain steel. For the bottom one i used a texture to define it's roughness. Lighting environment is crucial for metals to pop up. As for the wood, it looks awful without UV mapping for me, so your choice of a procedural is better than mine.

Images attached: PNG (RAW) - JPEG (Post Production)

ShubhamShah

Quote from: NM-92 on May 23, 2017, 01:07:54 PM
Hey. I played a bit with your scene. Here's my result. I can't share the package though since i used some Poliigon textures and i think they can't be redistributed. Upper metal is plain steel. For the bottom one i used a texture to define it's roughness. Lighting environment is crucial for metals to pop up. As for the wood, it looks awful without UV mapping for me, so your choice of a procedural is better than mine.

That looks great. Thanks a lot  for the help.
And what is the environment used?

mattjgerard

Quote from: NM-92 on May 23, 2017, 01:07:54 PM

That looks really good, but what I'm fighting with is how are you controlling the textures on the wheels to just appear in the flat surface? I have been banging my head on my desk trying to mask out the center but can't figure it out in the MatGraph.

NM-92

Quote from: ShubhamShah on May 25, 2017, 04:08:37 AM
That looks great. Thanks a lot  for the help.
And what is the environment used?

Thanks ! The one i'm using (HDRI.JPG) comes from a free hdri studio pack that i found on Deviant Art. There are 3 available packs available for download if you search on that website uploaded by the user "zbyg". I modified the hue to be a bit more blue-ish (cold tones get along well with metals).

Quote from: mattjgerard on May 25, 2017, 07:26:54 AM
That looks really good, but what I'm fighting with is how are you controlling the textures on the wheels to just appear in the flat surface? I have been banging my head on my desk trying to mask out the center but can't figure it out in the MatGraph.

I uploaded three pictures (Mat graph / Wheel1 / Wheel2) where you can see the graph of the wheel material. I usually mask this kind of things with a gradient and use a color composite to "mask my mask". You'll understand that quicker if you take a look at the images. Basically, i use a dirt texture and use the gradient to define that texture's opacity. Let me know if i wasn't clear enough, i'm not a really good teacher :P

mattjgerard

I know what I'm doing during my lunch :) Thanks for this, gives me a chance to brush up on my spanish too! What you describe yourself doing is exactly what I was trying to do, just haven't figured out how to connect the dots properly yet. This helps much!

ShubhamShah

Improvements on the skateboard