License transfer by activation and deactivation

Started by quigley, February 18, 2011, 03:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quigley

I frequently transfer my Keyshot 2 license from a CAD workstation to an iMac and vice versa depending on workflow. Generally this works very well, and in the very latest 2.2 build the activation code data is retained so you do not have to manually enter it each time  :)

But today I was doing the same transferring from the iMac to the workstation, so I deactivated on the iMac, went to reactivate on the workstation...but had an error message saying it could not connect to the license server.

So I'm left with no access to Keyshot now. This is obviously a problem! What do we do in these situations, and is there a way to prevent this happening in the future? I accept than servers go down occasionally but maybe there needs to be a better way to do this?

Some thoughts:

1. Allow two activations - like Adobe/SolidWorks etc.
2. Have some kind of warning when you are deactivating that the license server is down (though to my mind if it is down it shouldn;t let you deactivate!)
3. Have some form of timed activation - allowing you to activate on the new machine first, then after 5 mins or so the old machine is automatically deactivated.

Thoughts?

AxelRod

I ran into this on Wednesday too.  Two activations would be nice.  I use keyshot at home and at work.

guest84672

We will continue to simplify this. Good suggestions. Deactivate / activate works for the most part. Not sure what happened in Quigley's case - usually the server doesn't go down.

chippwalters

I also got the 'could not connect with server' message. Then it asked me to save a file and send it via email. I tried again and it connected to the server and worked.

Question: Is the email response automated or does one have to wait until the next working day for a reply?

guest84672

It is not automated, but we have very good response times.