how to make very basic hdr environment with white/grey gradient?

Started by CdeV, May 22, 2017, 10:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CdeV

hi guys,

i've been using the basic startup hdr for my renderings but i only use a small fraction of that environment, the dark grey part that i have show here in the attached image. i keep having to rotate the environment around to get that part into the background. i'd like to create an hdr which is this slice extended through the whole image. I bought keyshot bridge for zbrush amd it seems i cannot do that with this version.

has anyone got an image like this they could share with me? or is there a way for me to do this in photoshop or something? any help would be much appreciated as i am very new to this.

what I am trying to create is a basic hdr that render out images like the image of the sculpture attached

mattjgerard

The key here is to use a different background object and lighting object. You can use 2 separate images, one for lighting and one for the background that is rendered out. Even better, you can render the objects with transparency so you can take it into any image editor and create your own background there for more flexibility.

Here is a quick basic gradient I made in photoshop, its 4k, and you can take it into any photoseditor and adjust the gamma and curves if you need to.

Go into the Environment tab and click on the Background radio button and select your file. Then you can rotate the lighting environment to what best suits the lighting needs, and the background will stay the same.