trying to get offset pattern...

Started by Tak, May 25, 2017, 04:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tak

Hi, I need some advise here.

The 1st image set is what Im trying to get. I want it to have this offset pattern on the surface.
I tried label but seemed that its never going to match the edge..  (2nd image set)
I was wondering if there's anyway I can make this happen through Keyshot.
or am I barking at totally wrong tree??

I will upload the 3D data and offset image I used. I made that image through Rhino "UnrollSrf" command.

Please give me some advise : )

DMerz III

Hmm, very cool effect you're going for here. Based on your other thread, I take it you modeled this in Rhino, thus, it is NURBs surfaces.
The best way to solve this is going to be to UV unwrap that surface, then create a map based off of the UV square. Then apply that map via UV Coordinates in Keyshot.

Because you modeled this with NURBs, it's going to be a lot harder to get a good result (to the extent of my knowledge). Though, if you re-model this with a polygonal modeler, such as Blender (which is free) you'll have a lot easier time unwrapping for proper texturing.

There's a ton of tutorials to explain, though, there is hardly ever a tutorial that I've found that tells the story 100%. (I've spent months reading and searching this topic). Here's a great place to get started; http://www.chocofur.com/5-uv-mapping.html

Hope this helps!

Tak

Hi DMerzIII

I'm sorry for my late response.
Thank you for the link, I haven't go through everything yet but I finally got a picture of UV mapping / unwrapping I think.
I read the thread too and trying to finish reading Martin's notes.
Your VRED attempt seems very attractive and useful but same here, we can't afford just for that either... : /

Regarding this offset pattern,
I've never done polygon/mesh modeling before and never used those in Keyshot ( I suppose you too??) so I'm not sure but, when the UV mappings are edited proper way, there is a good chance that this offset pattern is possible to achieve?? (almost looks very precisely)

About the NURBs import issue,
My company have worked with a render studio. I sent STEP file to them and they made a movie out of that. It might be helpful to just ask them how they did.
Also, I found a UV editor feature in Rhino, I'm not sure how that's helpful to this issue because it's still a NURBs software but Im going to try it.
My company also has SolidWorks which we don't use that often but it came with this render engine called SolidWorks Visualize, formerly known as bunkspeed. It was very tricky for me to control but I will give it a try again to see if that engine has any good stuff for UV mapping. I hope it does because it came with CAD software. 
I will keep you posted.

Best,

Tak

DMerz III

Tak, I'm by no means an expert in this, but you're right about a couple of things, VRed is wicked expensive if you don't need it for its other features.
I am learning how to work with polygonal modeling, it's very easy to grasp in concept, but just a little harder to be precise (as a beginner at least). I do not really use Rhino (I prefer MoI3D) but I have heard about the UV editor in the program. I believe that could work, however, when you leave Rhino, your export needs to somehow preserve those UVs, and I'm not sure which file type would work best for that. I can tell you, tesselating it into a mesh such as an .OBJ, in general, has not worked for me.

Hope you figure out how to accomplish this, and when you do, please share with us!