KeyShot Freezing WinXp x64

Started by mangolots, March 20, 2010, 05:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mangolots

Hi, I have just uogarded from Hypershot to KeyShot.  I am running Win XP 64 bit with 2 Quad Xeon and 16gb RAM.  The BIP file is ~627mb big and when i try and render it gets to around 25%-27% and then the whole PC freezes.

I have increased page file size on the various hard drives to 30Gb total and rebooted but no change in the lock up issue.

I have tried various BIP files and they all have same result no matter what size.

I also notice when I start to render a BIP file of 2.65GB size the memory usage shown in the render details window started with a '- 'sign in front of it.

Any help with these issues please.  Apart from the KeyShot problems the PC runs fine on Solidworks 2007 and any other programs I am running regularly.  Cheers Jayel

guest84672

I assume you are also running KeyShot 64bit?

Speedster

Had a tough time logging in- every time it take 6-8 attempts.

Anyway, I was just about to post this same question- except I am running XPx32, with 8 cpu's, 4 GB RAM.

I have a 176 MB file that absolutely locks up at 25%.  It is just over 3 million polys. Whether at 2000 wide, or what I need, which is 6000 wide.  It gets to 25% in about half an hour.  I still see some action (in details window), and I am running (per Task Manager) 1.69 MB, and 100% CPU usage.  I let this one run for 9.5 hours (overnight) and it was still locked at 25% in the morning.

I also tried different HDR's, as I am using a lot of reflections.  No change.  Some materials are nasty metals, etc., but never a problem before.

I had no trouble with another similiar project, at same sizes and setups.  Rendered to 6000 in about 2.5 hours.

Baffled!  Help!  Attached is a 2 hour burned in screenshot, but it's not good enough for print.

Bill G

Speedster

Forgot to note that my test image rendered fine at 1000 wide, in about 18 minutes.
Bill G

guest84672

Memory usage is at 1.69GB? But you are still on 32bit? If you want I can render this out for you on Win7 64bit, making sure it all works properly.

Also, is High Quality Texture filtering checked? If so, try and uncheck it.

mangolots

Quote from: Thomas Teger on March 20, 2010, 06:33:50 AM
I assume you are also running KeyShot 64bit?

Yes, I am running KeyShot 64bit.

Ok Found the problem finally - in case anyone else strikes this issue.  The wonderful Windows auto-updates (now not set to auto!) had upgraded the NVidia FX3800 driver and although KeyShot renders on CPU that video driver change was enough to make the PC freeze during render.  I wound the video driver back to previous version and KeyShot works just like it should.