Updating Materials?

Started by Burkhard, February 22, 2011, 04:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burkhard

When creating a new Material, save and use it on a Model from the Material Browser, sometimes there are some minor changes necessary.
I could not find a material update Button. Do I have to save it as new Material again? ( In that case I loose my original name and I have to rename it)

guest84672

You can right click on the material in the library and edit the material.

Burkhard

Thanks Thomas
Edit Materials seems the same like Doubleclicking on the material itself.
But how to save the changes without renaming it for the Library? Or do I miss something?

guest84672

I said "right click on the material in the library", and select "Edit Material".

guest84672

What you can do is the following. Please read all the words in this post:

When you edit a material in the library (right click - edit material), it will only change the material in the library.

If the material is assigned to a model in a way you described (created on the model, saved to the library), then making changes to the material in the library will not change the material on the object.

If this is desired, then apply the material from the library through "right click > copy" and "right click > link material" onto the model.

Now when you make changes either by selecting "right-click > edit material" on the object or on the material in the library, both the material in the library and on the object will change.

I hope this makes sense.

Thomas