problem importing from solidworks

Started by a737, February 28, 2011, 01:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a737

Hi, I have assigned different colours in the solidwork file so as to differnciate the different materials, so when I import the Step file in the keyshot it recognizes the object with separeted surfaces. I always do it this way and it usually works. But now, when I import the step file it doesn´t recognize the different surfaces, it is just one colour so I can´t assign the different materials in the keyshot.
I hope I was clear enough.... does anybody have a usefull tip?

thanks!

guest84672

Speedster

I'll add my experience with 2.2.42x64.  When I prep in SolidWorks I have often used configurations for multiples of the same part that I want to map differently in KeyShot.  Always has worked fine.  Now, however, the SW model imports into KS with a whole different mapping than I had set up.  I now have to create descrete parts as a "save-as" under different names to get them to work.  Real pain, and added about 2 hours to the setup.

The attached images illustrate.  First image is a Solidworks screenshot.  Second is a KS screenshot immediately after importing.  Last image is what I had to create for my client.

Bill G

a737

Thanks Bill G!
I usually do the same, give a different colour to the object's part in which I want to have different material in Keyshot. I "save as" Step, and in Keyshot I import it.  In what format do you save it?

thanks!

a737

This is a problem I am having with some bodies. I have attached a snapshot from solidworks ( in grey) and a snapshot from Keyshot ( in orange) and you will see how the body gets faceted and broken whene it was smoother in the solidworks file.
Is it possible to correct this?

JeffM

Are you changing the tessellation quality in SW?

Perhaps you're changing it in the assembly, and not enabling the option to apply those changes to the part level.

guest84672

Quote from: Speedster on February 28, 2011, 06:34:03 PM
I'll add my experience with 2.2.42x64.  When I prep in SolidWorks I have often used configurations for multiples of the same part that I want to map differently in KeyShot.  Always has worked fine.  Now, however, the SW model imports into KS with a whole different mapping than I had set up.  I now have to create descrete parts as a "save-as" under different names to get them to work.  Real pain, and added about 2 hours to the setup.

The attached images illustrate.  First image is a Solidworks screenshot.  Second is a KS screenshot immediately after importing.  Last image is what I had to create for my client.

Bill G

Bill - I am not sure I fully understand. Can you contact me directly so we can take a look at what's going on here?

Thomas